CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1264793
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:33:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Langar cum Barnstone
National Grid Reference:
SK 72127 34652

Details

LANGAR CUM BARNSTONE CHURCH LANE SK73SW (west end) 5/108 Church of St Andrew 1.12.65 GV I Church. Mainly C13 but heavily restored in the 1860s by the Rev. Thomas Butler. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings. Cruciform plan: 5-bay nave with north and south aisles, south porch, square crossing tower north and south transepts each 2 bays long and 2-bay chancel. Parapets are all embattled. Early English, triple- lancet clerestorey windows. Later 2-light nave windows with geometrical tracery. C15 porch with excellent C15 traceried door with ogee-headed wicket door. Square, Early English crossing tower with part-blind arcaded 2nd stage and ornamental frieze to top stage. The south transept has, on south side, triple lancets with colonnettes and nailhead decoration. The north transept has lancets on east side but on west side a part-restored Perpendicular 3-light transomed window. The chancel has Perpendicular windows including the 5-light east window. Interior: late C13 5-bay north and south arcades on round piers with moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Heavily moulded Early English crossing arches with nailhead decoration. Good moulded arch from south aisle to south transept. Moulded beams and purlins with lower, secondary tie-beams. One beam is inscribed with the names of church wardens and carpenters and the date Sept 29 1750. Perpendicular fragments in screens. Heavy C17 alter rail with turned balusters and square newels with ball finials. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit with alternate plain and carved panels, and bookrests on shaped brackets. The 2 back panels are taller and rise as a back-board. Oak panelled Jacobean reading desk. Good oak eagle lectern of 1931. Monuments: north transept:

1. Built into the north wall a plain chest tomb to George Chaworth Lord of Wereton and Anesley d.1521 and his wife Katherine d.1517.

2. Marble, 2 recumbent effigies of John Chaworth, Knight d.1558 and his wife. 15 children as weepers around the base. He is in armour with his head on his helmet.

3. An alabaster, recumbent effigy of a bearded gent. in armour on a tomb chest, classical with corner piers, to: Sir George Chaworth d.1587.

South transept: an excellent monument to "the Right Hon. and Noble Lord Thomas, Lord Scroope Baron of Boulton, Masham and Upshail" d.2nd of Sept. 1609. A free standing black and white marble monument with triple Composite columns at each corner supporting the canopy. Achievements and supporters at the top. He is lying, armour-clad beside his wife and with their son Emmanuel kneeling at their feet. Two Roman style busts on tapering shafts one to the Rt. Hon. Scroope Lord Viscount Howe d.1712 and the other to the Rt.Hon. Scroope Lord Viscount Howe d.1734. A brass on the wall is to the Honourable Anne Mordaunt, daughter of Scroope Lord Viscount Howe d.1753. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK7212734652

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426852
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/09400/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].