NEW SYNAGOGUE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1264873
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1991
Statutory Address:
NEW SYNAGOGUE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, EGERTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW SYNAGOGUE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:38:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEW SYNAGOGUE AND ATTACHED SCHOOL, EGERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hackney (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34000 87851

Details

TQ 3387 EGERTON ROAD (South side)

735/7/658 New Synagogue and attached school 27.09.1991 II

Synagogue and attached school. C 1914-15 by E M Joseph and partner Smithem, the synagogue interior copying the apse and galleries of John Davies's New Synagogue, Bishopsgate, of 1838 and incorporating some original fittings from the earlier building. Red brick with stone dressings and quoins; gabled roof. EXTERIOR: Edwardian Baroque style. Pedimented 2 storey front; 6 window returns. Front with projecting ground floor of banded brickwork above a stone podium and having a projecting tetrastyle Doric portico flanked by moulded stone panels with 2-light mezzanine windows above. 2 round-arched, architrave entrances with lugs and keystones, fanlights over and panelled doors, flank a similarly architraved central window. 1st floor has similar architraved central window flanked by paired stone pilasters with an entablature supporting a small broken pediment. This feature flanked by rectangular stone towers, rising through the 1st floor and having round-arched windows in pediment aedicules to each face; domed roofs. Returns with architraved windows in to ground floor having keystones projecting into aprons of round- arched architraved windows with keystones and lugs at 1st floor. INTERIOR: Vestibule has Ionic columns and entablature to vaulted ceiling. Main galleried space in Italianate style with barrel-vaulted ceiling having inset lunettes; panelled ceiling above galleries. Gallery supported on Doric columns and entablature, above which, Corinthian columns and entablature to ceiling. Paired Doric pilasters and Corinthian columns flank apsidal end {housing the Ark) with Corinthian column screen to gallery; coffered dome ceiling with central oculus. The Ark from the 1838 synagogue was resited here in its entirety, including the 1838 mahogany doors with curved patterns, the central "bimah" was remodelled from the old building, rebuilt to a smaller scale without the choir, benches with armrests were resited and the eight candelabra were removed from the earlier synagogue but are probably late 19th Century rather than 1838. Stained glass of c1915 and later and pulpit of 1919. A tetrastyle in antis stone loggia links the synagogue to the contemporary school. Channelled red brickwork with stone dressings. 2 storeys 3 windows. Gauged red brick flat arches to recessed sashes, the ground floor with keystones. Stone cornice and blocking course behind which appears a brick gabled end. HISTORY: A declining congregation in that part of London before the First World War led to the Great St Helen's synagogue being sold to the Shell Transport and Trading Company. Following the erection of the new building in Egerton Road the United Synagogue had made a sufficient profit to underwrite the building of many more synagogues throughout London.

Listing NGR: TQ3400087851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426739
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03223/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].