CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1264986
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264986.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:32:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Hickling
National Grid Reference:
SK 69188 29279

Details

HICKLING MAIN STREET SK62NE (east side) 6/70 Church of St Luke 1.12.65 GV I Church. Predominantly C14, clerestory and porch C15, chancel rebuilt 1845, tower rebuilt 1873, general restoration 1886. Thinly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar tower. Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave with lean-to north and south aisles and south porch. 3-bay chancel. Tall 3-stage tower with angle buttresses, 3-light west window, 2-light bell-chamber openings, decorative frieze and crenellated parapet. Embattled south porch. Two 2-light south aisle windows with cusped lights. Two 2-light north aisle windows with geometrical tracery and a simply moulded doorway. The chancel windows are of 2 and 3 lights with square heads, Perpendicular tracery and deep square hood moulds. The chancel is also embattled. Built into the west wall of the south aisle is an early C14 coffin lid with relief carving of naturalistic foliage growing from a cross with stepped base and foiled head. Interior: 4-bay north and south arcades with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Nave roof has massive quadrant moulded tie-beams, and some purlins are similarly moulded. Chancel arch on round responds which are slightly filleted. Piscina, south aisle, east end. Octagonal font with plain shields and angels under the bowl. The cover is simple with a re-cut centre piece dated 1665. Small poor-box on a pedestal, carved in raised letters in sunk panels on 3 sides:

REME THE POORE MBER HF 16 85 RB

The south door has delicate C13, flowing ironwork. At the east end of the south aisle is an excellent mid C10 Saxon coffin lid with much interlace, a cross and 2 beasts. Bench ends with heads on the arms and in the poppy heads. A brass on the chancel floor of 1521 to Master Ralph Babington, rector. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK6918829279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13387/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rodney Cousins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].