CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1265230
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SUTTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:50:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SUTTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Granby
National Grid Reference:
SK7510036209

Details

SK73NE 3/52 1.12.65

GRANBY SUTTON LANE (south side) Church of All Saints

GV I

Church. On a pre-conquest site, C12 fragments, predominantly C13 and C14, reduced in size and restored circa 1777 and restored again in 1888. Thinly coursed rubble, north side of chancel rendered. Slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with north and south porches and chancel. The square, 4-stage tower has broad clasping buttresses to the 1st stage and a single lancet west window. In the 2nd stage are 2 small round-headed Norman windows. 2-light, Y-tracery bell- chamber openings to the 3rd stage. A deep frieze with an ornamental band, crenellated parapet with gargoyles and corner pinnacles forms the Perpendicular top stage. Within the 1958 south porch is a C13 Early English heavily moulded doorway. To the right of this is a Perpendicular 3-light window. The chancel south side has two decorated windows of 2 and 3 lights the latter with trefoils and quatrefoils in the head. The 3-light Decorated east window is of 1888. Restored 2-light windows with Decorated tracery on north side of nave, a third window is obscured by the north porch. Interior: the C14 north arcade is now in the north wall and has double- chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and demi-column responds. Masks form the intersection of the arches. The double- chamfered tower arch, circa 1250, has circular responds with moulded capitals, and the double-chamfered C13 chancel arch has octagonal responds. The nave roof is arch-braced with big moulded tie-beams. Two piscinas and an aumbry on the south side. The C19 font is apparently using an inverted C14 font as a pedestal. Octagonal oak-panelled pulpit dated 1629. Poppy-head bench ends with details of animals, reptiles, grotesque heads and one with a merman and a mermaid. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK7510036209

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425573
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16363/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].