TINTINHULL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1265231

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Statutory Address: TINTINHULL HOUSE, FARM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TINTINHULL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:07:10.

Location

Statutory Address: TINTINHULL HOUSE, FARM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Tintinhull

National Grid Reference: ST 50246 19742

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Tintinhull House, Farm Street. 14/346 7/346

------------------------------------

Tintinhull House, Farm Street. 14/346 7/346

------------------------------------

TINTINHULL CP FARM STREET (North side) ST5019

14/346 Tintinhull House

19.4.61

GV I

Detached house. C17, reshaped early C18 and later. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables; stone chimney stacks. Double roof plan with additions. Two storeys with attics; east entrance elevation 5 bays, of which bay 1 is a projecting gable. Continuous string to ground floor and eaves course; single-storey flat roofed addition bays 2 and 3 probably early C20; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows; bay 1 has 3-light below, with moulded cambered-arched door to right, and above a 5-light window, with 3-light to attic, all with labels; small blind window in return at first floor level; bays 2 and 4 have 3-light windows, and bay 3 a 2-light transomed and mullioned, all with labels; to lower bay 4 and a 5-light window with chamfered cambered-arched doorway to right; small square window upper bay 5 and one blocked below; attic dormer window with flat roof between bays 2 and 3; in corner a stone water cistern. West front, added c1720, also 5 bays but in classical style: this has hipped stone tile roof and chimneys with moulded caps: high rusticated plinth, rusticated outer pilasters, eaves cornice; centre 3 bays enclosed by plain pilasters with Tuscan caps carrying simple pediment above eaves course; 2-light mullioned and transomed windows, beaded with architraves, rectangular-leaded with iron-framed opening lights having curl stays; to lower bay 3 a doorway, up 5 steps, with part-glazed panelled door, surround having attached Tuscan columns and entablature with segmental pediment; in main upper pediment a circular attic window with iron-framed casements, scrolled decorative frame; and in roof between bays 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 are 2-light dormer windows with pediments over; small 2-light basement windows in plinth bays 2 and 4. South elevation, to street, has two prominent gables, each crowned by chimney stacks, and several mullioned windows; north elevation has one gable, with 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in recess above and similar ovolo-mould window under label below, and in western section are four 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars in nave mould recesses. Interior in two distinct halves, the east C17 and the west C17; two staircases, the older in the south-east corner, has-carved oak 3-centre-arched overthrow in moulded frame at foot of stairs, the balusters later; the second staircase in centre of east section is early C18, dog-leg pattern, with turned balusters and deep moulded curved handrail, bottom step with very generous side curl, and fielded panelled dado to wall sides. Principal rooms in western section; the centre room has timber cornice and fielded dado panelling, Keinton stone flag floor, simple surround to fireplace, and on axis with outer door a doorway into the stair hall has an ornate fanlight. The dining room in the south-west corner is similar in detail, with a shell-hood recess with shaped shelves in north wall. The north west corner drawing room fitted out c1740, with 'new' sash windows in north wall - here the cornice is more elaborate, panelling is full height, with much use of egg-and dart decoration to panels and window openings, and the fireplace surround, still restrained, is more elaborate in detail. First floor rooms not seen. A significant house in its own right, with celebrated garden developed by two early C20 owners: it was the property of the Napper family (who also owned Tintinhull Court, q.v) by 1630, although they did not always occupy it, and seems to have been sold by them sometime after 1814: the C20 gardeners were the Revd. Dr. S.J.M. Price, up to l924, and from 1933 Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Reiss. Gardens included in Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, HBMC, 1985 (Grade II). The house now the property of the National Trust. (Oswald A. Country Life 19th April 1956, article on p798 et seq; Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, January 1955).

Listing NGR: ST5024619742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 425669

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 19 April, (1956)
'Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society' in January, (1955)
'Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society' in January, (1955)

End of official listing