NEWSTEAD ABBEY AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NEWSTEAD ABBEY AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265325 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:21:28.
- Statutory Address:
- NEWSTEAD ABBEY AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gedling (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 54162 53770
NEWSTEAD NEWSTEAD PARK
SK 55 SW
1/100 Newstead Abbey and
Augustinian Priory. Established c.1165 by Henry III. Extended and rebuilt, late C13. Prior's Lodgings, Great Hall and Dorter, C15. Converted to a country house 1539 by Sir John Byron of Colwick. Restored by George Gordon Byron c.1800. Extended and restored by John Shaw for Colonel Wildman, 1819. Altered c.1862 forF.W. Webb. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar with plain tile and slate roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. String courses and impost bands. Crenellated parapets. Coped gables, some crow stepped. Rainwater heads initialled "w" and "1818". 10 side wall, 9 ridge and 4 gable stacks. 2 and 3 storeys. Square plan around central cloister, with south-east and south- west wings. West front has to left, west gable of Priory church, late C13, 3 bays. Blind arcading, string courses, moulded balustrade, pinnacles and gargoyles. 4 gabled buttresses each with a gabled niche. Central doorway with hood mould and trumeau, flanked to left by simpler doorway and to right by restored double lancet. Above, central untraceried window flanked by single blind traceried panels. Above again, central gable with quadruple lancet flanked by single lancets. Above again, niche with figure. To right, Priory west range, altered early C18 and remodelled 1819. 6 bay arcade with 6 lancets. To right, gabled buttressed porch with ogee doorway and beyond, arcaded base to bow window. Above, 4 bay windows and bow window to right. To right again, buttressed and crenellated Sussex Tower, 4 stages, with round headed fenestration. Top stage has multiple lancet openings in each side. South west range, C18, raised early C19, C16 Gothic style, irregular L plan, 3 storeys, 8 bays long by 4 bays wide, has lancet windows, mostly with hood moulds. Buttressed west side has similar lancets and 2 doors. West side has open arcade and above, 6 lancets. To right, opening containing door with margin lights. South side has to left, octagonal kitchen, 1819, with pyramid roof and lantern finial. To south and east, a triple lancet. To its right, square tower, 3 stages, with lancets, mullioned and transomed casements to south and in return angle. Balanced south facade, 1819, has central full height balustraded bay window flanked by single gabled buttresses. Above them, traceried octagonal stacks. 5 pairs of superimposed lancets and to right, doorway. Above, 6 mullioned windows. Above again, central panel with Arms. South east wing, early C19, Renaissance Revival style, L- plan, has buttresses and crow stepped gables, South side has to left, door, and to right, 2 storey square bay window. Above, to left, canted oriel and to right, 2 lancets. Above, to left, a dormer and 2 lancets. East front has central crenellated porch, dated 1631 which was the former front porch removed from the east front, with keystoned round headed doorway and iron gates, flanked by single lancets. Beyond to left, 3 and to right, single double lancets. Above, 5 lancets. Above, shouldered shaped gable flanked by sinqle dormers. East front, C13, remodelled 1818 and late C19, 10 bays, has to left, 2 storey corner tower and to right, 2 storey north cloister. 2 gabled buttresses. 6 lancets of various sizes. Beyond, to right, parapeted bay window, 1905. Above, 10 traceried lancets. Above again, 7 gabled dormers. Buttressed north side, 5 bays, has to left, stair to door. To its right, 2 canted crenellated oriels and a lancet. Above, 3 lancets and shaped gable with cross. Cloister garth, remodelled 1818, 10 by 8 bays, has lancets and ogee headed doorway. Crypt, late C13, 4 bays, has 3 octagonal piers and chamfered rib vault. Parlour to north has single central pier and similar vault. North cloister has 2 blocked doorways, C13. Orangery has plaster frieze and late Cl7 style plaster ceiling. Vaulted slype has chamfered and rebated C13 doorway with double shafts. Tudor arched doorway inserted. Chapter house, C13, 3 bays, converted to chapel C16 and altered c.1820 and c.1860. West door has triple shafts and ornamented moulded head. Flanked by single paired moulded lancets with plate tracery. Moulded rib vault has 2 ringed composite piers with stiff leaf capitals. North, south and west sides have trefoil headed blind arcades. East side has similar arcade containing memorials to Webb family. Above, 2 memorial windows by Hardman. Gallery to north has memorial window, 1864. South cloister has blocked stair and central pointed recess containing lavatorium. Dark entry, Becket Room and Plantagenet Room have chamfered and keeled rib vaults with octagonal central piers. Plantagenet Room has stiff leaf capital and late C19 Gothic style fireplace. Southern undercroft has chamfered rib vault with 8 octagonal piers. Octagonal kitchen has rib vault. 4 Tudor arched recessescontaining ranges and cupboards. Great Hall, restored early C19, has panelled walls and arch braced roof with figure corbels and shields. South end has C14 style traceried oak screen, 1819, with central doors. Above, transom with Latin inscription and pierced balustrade to Minstrels' Gallery. East side has matching doorcase and central Tudor arched ashlar fireplace with bracketed hood. Panelled gallery over west cloister has to north ashlar newel stair with double lancet containing C18 stained glass. Byron's bedroom and adjoining dressing room have simple dado and cornice and C19 Gothic corner fireplaces. Adjoining Prior's Oratory has C16 brick corner fireplace and open lean-to roof. Gallery over north cloister has Classical marble fireplace, mid C18, by Thomas Carter, with mask boss. 2 star shaped ceiling bosses. Charles II room has painted panelled ceilinq attributed to William Kent, c.1720. Mid C18 Classical marble corner fireplace. Other panelled and tapestried bedrooms have 3 carved overmantels, early C16, from Colwick Hall. Refectory, now saloon, has moulded low pitched roof and plaster ceiling, c.1631, restored 1966. Classical marble fireplace attributed to Thomas Carter. Principal rooms of south-west wing have Cl7 panelling and overmantels. 3 fireplaces with terra- cotta panels, mid C18, by William Collins. Outside, to north west, late C19 boundary wall with crenellated coping. Square summerhouse, gabled gateway and canted corner with seat. To south east, balustraded garden wall with moulded coping and 2 stone seats. Approx. 10 M square.
Listing NGR: SK5416253770
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing