HEYFORD BRIDGE THAT PART IN THE PARISH OF LOWER HEYFORD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1266350
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
HEYFORD BRIDGE THAT PART IN THE PARISH OF LOWER HEYFORD, B4030

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 02:40:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEYFORD BRIDGE THAT PART IN THE PARISH OF LOWER HEYFORD, B4030

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Lower Heyford
National Grid Reference:
SP 47859 24764

Details

LOWER HEYFORD B4030 SP42SE 5/42 Heyford Bridge: that part in 26/11/51 the parish of Lower Heyford (Formerly listed as Heyford Bridge over River Cherwell (that part in Ploughley R.D.)) GV II*

River bridge. Probably C14, altered C17 and widened C19. Coursed squared limestone with some ashlar dressings and some brick repair. Western end of bridge, spanning the main branch of the River Cherwell, has 4 pointed medieval arches, 2 of which retain chamfered ashlar ribs and have added brick linings, but the westernmost arch has no ribs and has C19 outer voussoirs, and the next arch was reduced to half its original span in the C17; between the arches are shallow buttresses, and on either side of the river are square piers rising from triangular buttresses. The bridge extends for approximately 190 metres across the valley, the remainder forming a causeway which has 6 further arches, 2 medieval with chamfered ribs. C19 north face of bridge has corresponding arches with squared voussoirs, those of the main span springing from low triangular cutwaters. Both plain parapets have flat stone copings. The bridge was first recorded in 1255. It forms an important feature in the landscape designed c.1740 by William Kent for Rousham Park. (Rousham Park is included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade I; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, p182; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p693; Oxfordshire Museums Information Sheet 17, "Medieval Bridges in Oxfordshire")

Listing NGR: SP4785924764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
421838
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 693
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 182
'Oxfordshire Museums Information Sheet' in Medieval Bridges in Oxfordshire, ()
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].