CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1266419
Date first listed: 23-May-1967
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266419 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 14:24:54.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish: Easton on the Hill
National Grid Reference: TF 01109 04726
EASTON ON THE HILL CHURCH STREET
TF0104 (West side)
11/52 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 to C15 restored late C18 and mid and late C19. Squared coursed
limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar tower. Lead and Collyweston slate
roofs. Aisled nave, chancel north and south chapels, south porch and west tower.
South elevation of south chapel is of a 2-window range with a large, 4-light,
square-head window, to left, with C19 tracery. Single-light window, with
4-centred arch-head, to right. One- and 2-stage buttresses between windows.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and central gargoyle. East end of south
chapel is blank. 5-light Perpendicular east window of chancel with hollow
reveals and 4-centred arch-head. North elevation of chancel is of one-window
range, with a 4-light, square-head window with tracery containing quatrefoil
circles and mouchettes. Relieving arch above. North chapel projects forward of
north aisle and is a one-window range, with a 5-light, square-head window.
Flanking 3-stage buttresses. Pyramid roof with plain ashlar parapet. East window
of north chapel is probably late C18 of 4 lights with intersecting tracery and
transom immediately below tracery. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range
continuing flush with the south chapel. 4-light, square-head window, to right,
with C19 cusping and similar 3-light window, with plain-head lights, to left.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light west window similar to
south-west window. C13 central gabled porch has 2-centred outer arch, with
double hollow chamfered surround. Panelled door. C12 inner doorway, with roll
moulded, semi-circular, arch-head and one order of shafts. Trefoil-head niche
above. Ashlar gable parapet with C19 finial. North aisle, rebuilt 1856, is of
3-window range of 3-light, square-head, windows some with reset medieval
masonry. 2-stage buttresses, between windows, and similar clasping buttress at
corner. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 2-light west window with
4-centred arch head. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows with
4-centred arch heads. Clerestory restored mid C19 on north side. Shallow gabled
roof with plain ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Chancel clerestory to south
elevation is a 3-window range of 2-light windows similar to the nave. Gambrel
roof with castellated ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Perpendicular west tower
of 5 stages with moulded plinth. Shallow angle buttresses at corners. West
doorway with 2-centred arch-head and hollowed and moulded surround. 3-light
window, above, has similar surround. Small quatrefoil, set in square surround,
to each face of third stage; east quatrefoil is now internal. 2-light window,
with hollow reveals, to each face of fourth stage. Pairs of tall, 2-light,
bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Each is under single arch,
with central mullion terminating at apices. Quatrefoil frieze above and
castellated ashlar parapet. Gargoyles to each end of parapets. Corner buttresses
terminate as tall octagonal pinnacles with crockets and weather vanes. Interior:
4-bay nave arcade. Late C12 south arcade with semi-circular, double stepped and
chamfered, arches with circular piers matching responds and octagonal abaci.
Hollowed and moulded north arcade with octagonal piers and matching responds.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds, probably set into
earlier structure. Tall hollowed and moulded tower arch with semi-circular
responds and castellated capitals. Single-chamfered arches with corbelled
responds, between arches and chapels. Single bays of double chamfered arches to
north and south chapels. North chapel has semi-circular respond, with nailhead
decoration to one capital, and north chapel has polygonal responds. 5-bay stone
screen, with attached doorway, in arch to south chapel, has ogee head openings
with cusping. Similar screen to north chapel has trefoil head openings, arranged
in pairs. Head of C12 nave window, now blocked, above south arcade of nave.
Wagon roof to chancel, with moulded purlins and principals. Carved figures at
corbel level and rosettes at intersections. C19 nave, aisle and south chapel
roofs. Plaster ceiling to north chapel is probably C18. Trefoil-head piscina to
right of altar. South chapel is sub-divided, east end is a C13 vestry with
remains of wall arches and a trefoil-head piscina with roll moulding. Fragment
of carved and painted frieze reset in south aisle. C18 box pews, some with
doors. One bench and is dated 1631. C18 pulpit with tester. Fragments of
nedieval glass to north window of chancel. Fragments of medieval wall paintings
to nave and chancel. Hatchment, dated 1826, above chancel arch. Octagonal font
with shields and tracery. Monuments: late C13/early C14 fragment of incised
slab, depicting figure in flowing robe, in south chapel. Inscribed slab below
south window of south chapel to Richard de Linden, d.1255, and wife. Below north
window of chancel is an inscribed slab recording Henry Sampson and wife who
founded a chantry in 1411 and Robert Senkel, rector. Matrices of brass with
Perpendicular surround, to north wall of chancel. East wall of south aisle, pair
of arch head tablet with inscriptions recording Bridgett Tampon, d.1662, and
Mary Brucknell, also d.1662. Tablet to left to John Jackson, d.1772. Inscribed
tablet above to Charles Bletso, d.1753, has pediment over. Similar tablet
opposite to Katherine Bletso, his wife, d.1772. Inscribed tablet alongside has
draped urn over and records family of John Skynner, d.1805, including Captain
Lancelott Skynner R.N. who died in the ship wreck of the Lutine in 1799.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p205; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p51)
Listing NGR: TF0110904726
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 421672
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 205
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing