Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:06:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 24996 12334


BURFORD AND UPTON PRIORY LANE AND SIGNET (West End) SP2412-2512; SP2512(Enlargement) Chapel of St John 5/181; 7/181 (Previously listed 12.9.55 with The Burford Priory and chapel)


Manor House Chapel. 1661-2 for William (Speaker) Lenthall restored 1937 by W H Godfrey. Ashlar with Cotswold stone roof. Rectangular box in classicized Gothic. 2-bay flanks with 3 Ionic pilaster strips (the outer ones corner piers) on high plinths; cornice and parapet, North bay with panel supporting pediment with enriched tympanum. Skelton's engraving shews a matching arrangement on south window too; end finials with crude crocket-work. 2 traceried windows with ogee mouldings, the south one a wheel window in square frame with ogee rosettes in spandrels of trefoil ends and panels in the spandrels. The right-hand window is of 3-light with round arches, central heart-shaped light and flanking mouchettes (a sort of Oxford College Fontainbleau style), also set in square frames with low relief dragons in spandrels. Shaped gables with tracery-panelled saddle-stone finials. The south (ritual east) has arched 3-light window of Serlian proportion but with a wheel-fanlight over. The north gable is highly enriched with high relief royal arms; Corinthian pilastered doorcase on 1st floor with pediment, cornice returned from sides, raised up; ground floor door has lotus caps to plain pilasters and putti and garland panels in the frieze. Interior: reconstructed plaster barrel vault (c.1937) with guilloche panels, moulded cornice with egg and dart bed-mould. Ashlar lined above wood panelled dado, latter restored in deal with dentil cornice and drapery swagged enrichments to upper panels; main panels have satin-wood veneer. Black insets to diamond-flag floor. The main feature is the family pew at North End, with panelled front, recessed in centre on spiral fluted Corinthian columns with enriched panel bases; the door is framed by a remarkable sculpture of 2 angels and the burning bush in deeply undercut stone. The windows are in carved 'panels with moulded architraves, south window flanked by mural tablets and inscriptions. B of E Oxfordshire S Sherwood and NP pp 512; Country Life, 4 March 1911, pp 306-315; 3 June 1939, pp 586-591; Oxoniensia Vol IV 1939, pp 71-88.

Listing NGR: SP2499712334


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 512
'Country Life' in 3 June, (1939), 586-591
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 4, (1939), 71-88
'Country Life' in 4 March, (1911), 306-315


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14023/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].