Church of St Andrew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1267204
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Andrew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267204.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:08:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Steeping
National Grid Reference:
TF 43358 63556

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/07/2019

TF 46 SW 3/58

LITTLE STEEPING CHURCH LANE (east side) Church of St Andrew

3.2.67

GV II* Parish church. Mid C14, C15, 1638, 1701, restored C19 and C20. Greenstone rubble, red brick, limestone ashlar dressings, some render. Concrete tiled roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry.

Late C15 three stage west tower with moulded plinth and string course. Six stage angle buttresses and patched with C18 brick. Large pointed west window with double bowtell moulded surround, three cusped lights, that in the centre with ogee head, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above. Single lancet above with bowtell moulded surround and inner cusped head. A similar window to the south with four slit stairlights in buttress to left. Bell openings on all four sides, all with pointed heads, bowtell moulded surrounds, three cusped ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves with small sculptured motifs and plain corner pinnacles.

Late C15 north aisle, somewhat remodelled in 1638, patched with brick in the C18 and restored in C20. Flattened triangular headed C15 window to right, with three triangular headed lights and panel tracery. C20 two stage buttresses to left flank a pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. Stone above inscribed "1638 WP RC." C19 copy of window to west, beyond doorway to east. Plain C19 rubble vestry to left with rectangular chimney and doorway at ground level with ashlar lintel. Rectangular window above to left, with two cusped ogee headed lights. North side of chancel with single corbel. East end with rendered gable and pointed east window, basically C15 but the panel tracery and mullions of the three cusped lights replaced in C19. South side of the chancel with rectangular C15 window to east, with two cusped ogee headed lights restored in C19. Doorway to the left with pointed C19 head, plank door, hood mould and head label stops. Parapet above continues the full length of chancel and nave. East end of south aisle of nave with large pointed opening blocked with irregular rubble patching. Single lancet inserted with inner cusped, pointed head. South side proper with C19 window to right with flattened triangular head and three triangular headed lights with panel tracery. Similar window beyond, early C16 pedimented porch to left; the latter with pointed doorway with continuous moulded surround. Inner C14 doorway with continuously moulded surround, hood mould with large grotesque head label stops and C16 plank door.

Beam in roof inscribed "1701 I.M." West end of south aisle with small C14 lancet with inner cusped ogee head and hood mould. C15 tall interior tower arch with pointed triple chamfered head, the outer orders being continuous; the inner order supported on polygonal jambs with moulded capitals and high plinths. Doorway in south west corner with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround and C17 plank door. Mid C14 north and south three bay arcades, the north arcade being a little later; both with double chamfered pointed heads, octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Small blocked pointed opening in eastern spandrel of north arcade. East end of the north aisle with rectangular doorway leading to vestry. South aisle with small square aumbry. No chancel arch, just an ornate C20 screen.

Chancel with C15 north vestry arch originally leading to demolished chapel, with continuous double chamfered surround. Female head corbel to left. Partially blocked tomb niche to right. Below a very fine recumbant effigy of Thomas de Redyng, rector of Little Steeping 1318-1353. Piscina beyond with elongated trefoiled head. Aumbry with segmental head on south side. C14 octagonal font on high octagonal pedestal, seven sides with small standing figures under crocketed and finialled canopies. C19 pews, lectern, pulpit, panelled ceilings with ornate painted bosses.

Listing NGR: TF4335863556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
419348
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03663/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].