This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1267649



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bythorn and Keyston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54759

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



19/40 Parish Church of 28.1.58 St John the Baptist


Parish church. Nave, north and south aisles mid C13, chancel late C13. West tower and south porch mid C14. Late C15 east wall of chancel rebuilt and north and south walls heightened, north and south transepts added and aisles largely rebuilt; clerestory added to nave. Restorations in 1883, 1898 (Pevsner suggests a C19 rebuilding of the spire). Roofs renewed in C16 and former vault to tower replaced by a wooden floor. Walls of Weldon rubble with dressings of Weldon and Barnack limestone. Roofs of zinc and lead. South elevation: West tower of three stages with moulded plinth and octagonal broach spire, second stage window of one trefoiled-light with moulded label and beast-head stops; belfry with two embattled transomed windows each with two upper and lower trefoiled-lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with moulded labels and head stops, the jambs are enriched with flowers and the cusping of the tracery with rosettes at the points. Below the cornice a deep band of panels with blind tracery. Octagonal spine with shaped finials to the broaches and three tiers of gabled spire-lights divided in first two tiers by a central shaft and with shafted jambs, quatrefoils or trefoils; the windows of the third tiers have single lights with trefoiled ogee heads. (The west doorway is recessed within the thickness of the wall with a very fine outer ogee headed cusped arch). Clerestory and aisle with plain moulded parapet; five clerestory windows each of two trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with moulded label. South aisle with moulded plinth continuous around south transept, three C15 windows each of three cinquefoiled lights in four-centred arches with moulded reveals and labels, transept window with two-lights in a four-centred head, possibly C17 using earlier material. South porch with moulded plinth and plain parapet, has a two-centred arch of two wave-moulded outer orders and inner order springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals. Chancel with raised walls and plain parapet. Three windows from left to right; C15 window of three cinquefoiled lights in a four-centred head with moulded label and beast-stops, eastern window C13 of two pointed lights with pierced spandrel in two-centred head with moulded label and defaced head stops. Interior: Nave arcade, mid C13 north arcade of five bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, east respond semicircular, piers round and octagonal with moulded capitals and bases on square plinths: south arcade mid C18 similar in design to the north arcade; south doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head with moulded label and head stops. Tower arch, two-centred of three chamfered orders with moulded label to the nave; circular staircase in south-east angle with quadripartite ribbed vault. Chancel arch, c.1300 of three chamfered orders, responds each with three attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases. South doorway C13 with moulded and shafted jambs with 'stiff-leaf' capitals and moulded bases, and moulded trefoiled arch with foliated spandrels and moulded labels. Roofs: North transept late C15 or early C16 low pitched of two bays with cambered tie beam and curved braces with foliated spandrels carved with an eagle, moulded purlins and principal rafters and wall-plate, spandrel above the tie beam with foliate carving, a grotesque face and two roses; south transept roof of two bays and nave roof of five bays, both similar, with cambered and moulded tie beams, curved braces, wall-posts and ridge purlins, with bosses in the centre of the tie beams, the spandrels between the braces and tie-beams to the nave have pierced traceried panels, some painted decoration in east truss survives: north aisle roof, C16 of four bays enriched with foliate spandrels and moulded carved braces forming four-centred arches: south aisle roof C17 of four bays: south porch roof of two bays with cambered tie beams and moulded rafters and ridge piece restored. North and south doors C16. Font, C13, octagonal bowl with tapering sides. C15 glass in chancel, north transept, and south transept. Original C17 pews in aisles, one dated 1608, and seats reusing C17 material. Sedilia c.1300 in chancel of three bays with piscina forming fourth bay, divided by small shafts with moulded caps and bases, chamfered jambs with trefoiled heads and carved spandrels. Two C18 carved stones in south porch and south wall of tower. For brass indents and monuments and floor slabs see (RCHM).

Pevsner Buildings of England p274 RCHM Huntingdonshire p166 VCH Huntingdonshire p69

Listing NGR: TL0436675445

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 274
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 69
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 04366 75445


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 10:10:38.

End of official listing