MARYLEBONE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1267906

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1996

Statutory Address: MARYLEBONE STATION, MELCOMBE PLACE NW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARYLEBONE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1267906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 13:46:18.

Location

Statutory Address: MARYLEBONE STATION, MELCOMBE PLACE NW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27554 82027

Details





TQ 2781 NE MELCOMBE PLACE, NW1

1900-/34/10149 Marylebone Station

II Railway terminus. 1899. H. W .Braddock for Fox Engineers. Flemish Renaissance style. Red brick with buff terracotta dressing, slate roof. For the most part two-storeyed but with a raised central section above the arcaded passenger entrance. Asymetrical composition; canted block at west end with three bay block behind in Harewood Avenue return. Melcombe Place front characterised by dormers, gables, pyramidal turrets on square towers either side of central block. Round-arched windows on ground floor, straight-headed elsewhere, all with original joinery. Main tripartite entrance at east end faced with terracotta. Linked to hotel opposite by iron and glass porte-cochere. Boston Place: long wall flanking platform articulated into bays by vertical buttresses and recessed brick course. Interior: red brick, terracotta, glazed white brickwork above cornice level. Booking office, of panelled oak, with booth openings. At the west end of the concourse, the Victoria and Albert pub with two bars: dark wood panelling, original curved bars and bar shelving, broad ornate plasterwork frieze, fireplace. Beyond the concourse, three train sheds: one spans 40 ft, the other two span 50ft. They are connected by a roof of five spans running transversely across the concourse. Columns and girders are all of steel. Long wall flanking platform articulated with round-headed niches. Historical Note: Marylebone station, opened in 1899, was the last of the London termini to be built. It was constructed for the Great Central Railway by Sir Douglas and Francis Fox, engineers. The station is linked to the former Grand Central Hotel by an iron and glass covered way.



Listing NGR: TQ2755482027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462468

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing