WEAR MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1268049
Date first listed:
04-Nov-1996
Statutory Address:
WEAR MILL, CHESTERGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268049.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 18:10:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEAR MILL, CHESTERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 89040 90236

Details

SJ99SE CHESTERGATE 701-0/3/10010 (North side)

Wear Mill

II

Cotton spinning and weaving mill. Mid C19 with incorporating C18 remains and rebuilding of 1884. Brick, slate roofs. Corner site bounded by King Street West and river Mersey on north, the earliest mills built on the river bank; railway viaduct breaks into the site on the east. Site comprises: 2 spinning mills, weaving shed, warehouse, offices and chimney. EXTERIOR: the earlier, c1830-40, spinning mill is of 6 storeys and 3 building phases, 4x6, 10x6 and 6x6 bays, small windows with stone sills and lintels, stone eaves cornice; no power features, fireproof construction of cast-iron columns and segmental brick arches. The later spinning mill is of 6 storeys, 15x6 bays, large brick-arched windows with stone sills, brick eaves cornice, squat Italianate tower, internal engine house. 5-storey block built against King Street West has engine house in basement, east face (to yard) and single storey range behind road-side wall which follows line of river bridge parapet wall. A 3-bay block attached to the 1884 mill incorporates part of the late C18 wheelhouse in its basement, the archway standing over the river. Weaving shed of brick, mid C19, 5 roof ridges, below railway viaduct. Chimney is octagonal and tapers, an incised stone plaque on the west side, approx. 2.5m from ground: '?6/ GAP/ 1868' .Late C19 warehouse has been reduced to single storey, flat roof, and 2-storey brick range follows the curve of Chestergate, late C19 2-storey square block faces onto the yard. Some demolition on west side of site.

HISTORY: a drawing of the mill late C19 indicates that it was then owned by Samuel Moorhouse Ltd. A short chimney stood on the river edge, close to the road bridge, and there were long low rooms against the river edge, probably used for carding. A multi-phase integrated mill; a good example of the typical pattern of development by extension and successive rebuilding. Wear Mill displays the greatest number of phases of development represented on any mill site in Greater Manchester, including two different types of fire proof construction. It remains substantially intact, with its ancillary buildings. The confined site and the proximity of the railway viaduct adds to the architectural interest of the group. (Greater Manchester Archaeology Unit: Record No.2505) .



Listing NGR: SJ8904090236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462275
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00932/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Trillo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].