SOHO FOUNDRY FORMER BOULTON AND WATT FOUNDRY PATTERN STORES AND ERECTING SHOPS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1268451
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1996
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jul-1997
Statutory Address:
SOHO FOUNDRY FORMER BOULTON AND WATT FOUNDRY PATTERN STORES AND ERECTING SHOPS, FOUNDRY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOHO FOUNDRY FORMER BOULTON AND WATT FOUNDRY PATTERN STORES AND ERECTING SHOPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268451.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:41:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOHO FOUNDRY FORMER BOULTON AND WATT FOUNDRY PATTERN STORES AND ERECTING SHOPS, FOUNDRY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sandwell (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP0340888841

Details

SP 08 NW SANDWELL FOUNDRY LANE (west side), Smethwick 1868/9/10012 Soho Foundry: former Boulton & Watt Foundry, Pattern Stores and Erecting Shops 26.6.96

GV II*

Foundry, pattern stores and erecting shops. Built 1794-95 for Matthew Boulton & James Watt, extended 1800 and later C19 and C20 alterations; pattern stores 1797, extended 1799-1800, 1809,1845 and later C19. Red brick. Belfast truss roofs clad in corrugated sheet steel with ventilation louvres on the ridges and brick coped gable ends. PLAN: rectangular plan foundry with casting pit and boring mill at east end, extended to west c1800 and late C19 parallel range added on north sicre. Along the north side of the original foundry a tunnel leads to a long range of pattern stores to the north-west, extended northwards in 1799-1800 and 1809, with 1845 pattern store at south-east end, on site of 1799 sand bins, wider late C19 pattern store and pattern shop built above. To the north of the original foundry a large erecting shop was added in 1850. EXTERIOR: 20 bays 3 tiers of segmentally arched windows, some blocked, below corbelled brick eaves. The gable ends have large blocked round arched openings with 3 oculi above. INTERIOR: two orders of blind arches in the walls with buttresses between, at the east end is the casting pit arid boring mill, on the north side of the original foundry a long vaulted brick tunnel leading to the long range of vaulted pattern stores to the north-west. HISTORY: in 1794 Matthew Boulton &James Watt established the firm of Boulton & Watt, and in 1794-95 they built the Soho Foundry to manufacture steam engines more efficiently. Matthew Boulton had required a power source for his earlier factory (the Soho Manufactory, demolished 1860) and James Watt had been called in to act as a consultant, eventually resulting in their historic partnership. At the new Soho Foundry Boulton and Watt produced, for the first time, complete steam engines, making and assembling all the separate components on one site. From 1798 the foundry manager was William Murdock, engineer and inventor of gas-lighting, which was installed at the Soho Foundry from 1800-03, making it one of the earliest factories to be lit by gas-light.



Listing NGR: SP0340888841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
461800
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16216/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].