This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1268719



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3011NE ST MARY'S LANE, Hertingfordbury 817-1/24/334 (West side) 10/02/50 No.2 Amores including outbuildings


Formerly known as: The Old Parsonage ST MARY'S LANE Hertingfordbury. House. Late C15 (south range), C16 (north range) C18 and C19 alterations and extensions. Timber-framed and plastered, colourwashed, old brickwork, tiled roofs. 4 bay south range, possibly cross wing to original hall to north, rebuilt early/mid C16 as 3 bay floored northern range. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. North range west elevation faces street. At left large chimneybreast with small early C17 timber-framed lean-to garderobe at first floor. Late C17 4-light mullion and transom window at left of central projecting chimneybreast and stack, with C18 2-storey gabled projection at right, 2-light casement window on first floor, C19 mullion and transom window on ground floor. C17 stair turret with splayed ends with upper gable carried on curved brackets in 2 directions and leaded landing windows, plain gable of south range at right. Ground floor has single storey pantile-roofed lean-to at left, and old tiled lean-to at right, outer walls following street frontage. South elevation has plastered first floor, colourwashed brick ground floor and at left long 3-light small paned wood casement window, with shorter casement below. Right of centre is projecting C17 stair turret with splayed sides and upper gable carried on curved brackets in 2 directions, 12-pane wood casement on first floor at left and 6-pane light partway down at right, hip-roofed single storey C19 outshut on ground floor. East elevation has 2-storey late C19 bay window at left, on gabled end of south range, 4-light mullion and transom windows and sidelights, moulded cornice head on ground floor, with black stained weatherboard spandrel, and bold cyma moulded cornice on first floor, with lead flat roof above. Gabled C19 porch in centre; on right two 2 light leaded mullion and transom windows, ground floor with late C18 bay window with canted sides with 12-pane sash windows. Centre with C19 twin leaf half-glazed doors, 4-light fanlight, tiled lean-to roof, 2 light leaded mullion and transom window at right. Roofs: with 2 gabled casement dormers on east slope of north wing and gabled projections over stair turrets on west and

south elevations. Chimney with 2 diagonal red brick shafts above external chimneybreast on north, square red brick stack above external chimneybreast with crow-stepped brickwork, on west and square red brick chimneystack on south. Single storey tile roofed outbuildings around kitchen yard at south-west corners of property. INTERIOR: north range has vestibule on south leading up early C18 straight flight stair, with panelled dado. Low moulded rail between newel posts at right, half landing and short upper flight, with first floor three quarter landing in C17 west stair turret. C17 studded partition on line of screens of earlier hall, entry to wing through reset C16 door with continuous linenfold-moulded battens and moulded frame with Tudor arch, chamfer and roll moulded base to jambs. Closet with C18 2-panel door. Drawing Room has C18 panelling and moulded dado rail. Fireplace on west wall has flush hardwood surround with chamfers and elaborate roll and tongue stops, restored red brick fire surround with C20 hood. Dining Room beyond has exposed studwork, C18 cornice. Clunch fireplace with moulded jambs, Tudor arch and carved spandrels, restored red brick fire recess. Kitchen in south-west room of south wing, entry through lean-to, beam propped with cast-iron column, and transverse beam has mortices for studs of original end wall. Cellar below, red brick, English bond walls, brick and tile floor. Smoking Room to west has C18 panelled upper fireplace surround and double cyma cornice. Entrance Hall has carved wood corbels, reputedly by Joseph Mayer of Oberammergau, who carved the bench ends in St Mary's Church. First floor has access from south stair turret, newel stair with window and ovolo mouldings. 2 upper rooms, 1 with early C18 bolection moulded fireplace surround. First floor of north range approached from west stair turret, circular newel with winders, leaded light with blacksmith-made catch, door to landing c1700, 2-panels, with HL-hinges. Bathroom c1905 created within brick gable. North bedroom has curved and moulded clunch fireplace, with Tudor arch, carved spandrels, with rosettes on splay, black letter inscription '1563/wyllam northe'. 3-light ovolo moulded mullioned window with intermediate diamond mullions to tie back leaded lights. Panelled oak door at left of fireplace to garderobe. Exposed studwork on inner partition wall has a large 2-light blocked window with 2 intermediate plain mullions; this originally looked down into the hall below before it was floored over, and the staircase turret built. The attics were also created in C17 and have 3 cells. Exposed truss of north wall has tie beam, downward curved bracing to central stud below, and braces above which may support collars (no access to upper roof over this range). Tie beams cut on

intermediate bays, doorway in south-east corner has chamfered jambs, with tongue stops, and elliptical arch, plank door with ledges and strap hinges, wide boarded floors. Purlins cut to create access from stair head. Window at top of stair with moulded mullions. Roof over south range shows inserted chimneystack, heavy pegged rafters with purlins and windbracing. HISTORICAL NOTE: Amores was held by copyhold of the Manor or Hertingfordbury, held by the Duchy of Lancaster. The name derives from a tenant named 'at More', corrupted into John Amores in 1540. In 1560 it was held by William North who added the elaborate fireplaces and chimney to the north gable in 1563. The house was restored in 1959. (Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 88).

Listing NGR: TL3073611972

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 88

National Grid Reference: TL 30736 11972


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 03:58:45.

End of official listing