This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1268740



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461497

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3212NW ST ANDREW STREET 817-1/16/219 (South side) 10/02/50 No.43 including St Nicholas Hall


House, now antique shop, incorporating former church hall at rear. C15, altered and extended early C17, rear range of C15 cottage demolished 1892 and rebuilt as St Nicholas Hall. Timber-framed and plastered front with exposed studwork, rear part red brick, Flemish bond, part red and colourwashed brick, English bond to former St Nicholas Hall; front range has old tiled roof. Sandfaced clay tiled over St Nicholas Hall. EXTERIOR: 3 bay C15 front range, with additional C17 bay added to left (east), all with jettied overhanging first floor. 2 storeys and attics. First-floor left has C17 oriel bay with wood casements, with bold ogee profile lower spandrel and head below overhang of attic dormer above, and small 9 pane casement to right set below eaves. To the right C15 range has 12-pane Yorkshire sash window beneath overhang of attic dormer and at far right a small 12-pane Yorkshire sash. The exposed bracing is of 2 periods: thin studs with primary bracing, three right-hand bays with close heavy studding with downward curved windbracing at corners, position of 2 blocked windows visible, one partly filled by Yorkshire sash to right-hand side. Exposed bressumer and beam ends. Ground floor beneath jetty has C20 restored casement bay window with canted sills at left, and exposed studwork. Central C17 oak front door with raised bands and raised and fielded panels. Mid C20 shopfront to right formed of moulded oak mullions with plain glazed closed lights, over a red brick stallriser, with 2 three quarter glazed oak doors in centre. Front range with two C17 gabled casement dormers with exposed studwork jettied out above first floor, and massive central red brick chimneystack with band and oversailing cap. Left (east) flank elevation rebuilt in red brick; right-hand (west) flank elevation has exposed studwork at all levels, with small 2-light casement in gable end lighting attic, and on ground floor at left, a continuation of the shop window with narrow lights between moulded oak mullions. Rear (south) elevation has red brick first floor, black weatherboarded gabled stair turret with 2 small 2-light casement windows, and late C19 single storey stuccoed lean-to with Welsh slated roof. Principal (west) elevation of St Nicholas Hall faces St

Andrew's Churchyard. Free Arts and Crafts style, largely single storey, with upper floor (former gallery) at left and mezzanine, original stage level at right; attic floor inserted over full length in 1970. Entrance at left, with four centred brick Tudor arch with dripmould, with 'St Nicholas Hall' in applied lettering, now with plate glass display window set in former doorframe. Embattled parapet roof above, with setback gable with central 3-light lattice-glazed wood casement window and exposed studwork above, bargeboard and turned wood finial. 5 bay hall to right, with 4 lattice glazed 3-light wood casements, and twin leaf doors with 2-light fanlight on right. At far right exposed studded and plastered gable with large 8-light mullion and transom window, corner of gable chamfered and verge cantilevered out over access driveway. St Nicholas Hall with small triangular dormers and octagonal central louvred ventilator cupola on ridge, with lead-roll drum, timber louvred panels, ogee profile lead cap with iron finial. INTERIOR: ground floor of front block opened out as single retail space, but subdivided by massive fireplace and chimney, with timber bressumer, chamfered and tongue stopped beams exposed in ceiling. Wall plate beneath jetty has mortices for studs, window mullions and shutter grooves at west corner. In centre of ground floor, reset as a prop, is late C15 octagonal crown post with elaborate roll and ogee moulded base, roll and cavetto moulded cap, retrieved from 30 Parliament Square during its demolition. Rear wall has open studwork looking into former St Nicholas Hall. First floor now approached by C20 stair through St Nicholas Hall, but original tight C17 winder stair with central newel remains in stair turret to rear. First floor also opened out as single sales area, with subdivision by chimney, which has a moulded brick 4 centred arched fireplace. On third bay line from left there is a braced tie beam truss with heavy long jowled posts, chamfered with a plain tongue stop, with a chamfered and tongue stopped tie beam and chamfered braces. At ceiling level adjoining post to wall plate of the rear wall has mortices for diamond pattern mullions and shutter grooves. The central longitudinal beams are iron-strapped to the tie beam, and the exposed joints of the attic floor are of lighter section than those of the first floor. The mortices for studs of the end of the 3 bay structure are exposed alongside the chimney. The oriel window in the (east) end bay has ovolo moulded C17 mullions. The attics are now converted into a flat. The upper face of the tie beam truss described above is exposed and has a central mortice indicating a former crown post structure, presumably removed during the C17 conversion of the attics and

the flooring over of a 2 bay first floor hall below. The west bay has a raised-floor level, seen below as a raised plastered ceiling, and the floor structure was not accessible. Only the east room has a fireplace at attic level. The roof rafters over the central section show no sign of smoke blackening suggesting an unheated hall, or the contemporary construction of a smoke hood in the position of the internal chimneybreast. St Nicholas Hall is commemorated by a mahogany panel, now fixed at the first-floor level of the frontage block, inscribed 'Our kinsmen the citizens of Hartford Connecticut USA gave the first gifts towards the erection of this hall of St Nicholas in the birthplace of their forefathers AD 1892'. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Nicholas Hall commemorates a former parish of Hertford, unified with St Andrew's about 1707, although the last rector had been presented as early as 1424 and the church was demolished in 1675. It was sited near the river on the present Maidenhead Yard, where it is shown on John Speed's map published 1610. (East Herts Archaeological Society Newsletter: Hertford: 1949-1970; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Old buildings in the County Town: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 47; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 192; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 148; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 42; Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 278-9; Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 56-7).

Listing NGR: TL3234012603

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Green, L, Hertfords Past in Pictures, (1993), 42
Page, F M, History of Hertford, (1993), 56-57
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 192
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 148
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 278-279
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 47
'East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter' in East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter, (1949-1970)

National Grid Reference: TL 32340 12603


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 05:26:49.

End of official listing