This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1268744



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3212NW ST ANDREW STREET 817-1/16/223 (North side) 10/02/50 No.52 Cecil House


House, now offices. Main house 1774-78 (built by William Hanscomb under licence from the Gascoyne Cecil, Earl of Salisbury's estates), with outshut with some reused C17 timber; surgery to mid 1960s, now offices. Dark red-brown brick, Flemish bond, with orange-red dressings, sides and rear stuccoed. Old tiled double 'M' roof behind front parapet, with brick chimneys with projecting bands; old tile roof over rear outshut. Double-depth plan, four main rooms with central staircase-hall, with central service stair to right. EXTERIOR: 5-bay front block of 3 storeys and basement. First floor has 5 slightly recessed 12-pane sash windows, with exposed boxes, under red rubbed flat arches, with red brick jambs; second floor five 9-pane sashes; to ground-floor four 12-pane sashes, with segmental-arched openings to basement at pavement level. Plat bands at first and second floors and above second-floor windows. Central 'Strawberry Hill gothick' doorcase and porch. Recessed 6 traceried panel door, upper 4 glazed, and traceried 4-light fanlight, recessed in matching traceried panelled reveals, flanked by flat pilasters, from which project tented open-gabled canopy roof. Eaves cornice, traceried frieze at sides, and slender clustered columns with amulet rings and projecting bases, with matching responds. Shallow stone slab step to porch, and nosed stone step to entrance. Rear elevation has irregular fenestration, with landing sash windows dropped a half floor. 2-storey rear outshoot, first floor (former hayloft until 1965) with C20 casement windows and 1 flush-set sash at right; ground floor with two 16-pane sashes, and central door. INTERIOR: principal rooms remodelled late C19, and 6-panel doors on ground floor have Art Nouveau brass fingerplates. Hall has late C18 panelled dado. Former kitchen extends into rear outshoot, and has brick-arched fireplace. Dogleg stair with close string, Tuscan column newels, moulded handrail and panelled dado. Service stair has country Chippendale balustrade. First-floor rooms retain C18 moulded wood cornices of double cyma and frieze profile, front right-hand room has fire surround with eared architrave. Large rear room extends into

outshoot, and has long chamfered beam with tongue (possibly reused from earlier building on site), and C18 cornice, panelling and dado and door with 'L' pattern hinges. Attics have substantial cupboards. Roof has riven rafters, but thin ridge board, side purlins and collars above attic ceilings. Cellar access below back stair and main stair, brick walls and floor, battened doors, 3 main compartments, vaulted wine cellar and coal cellar. This was a substantial town house, notable for its fashionable porch and doorcase. Its name indicates its Salisbury family connection. (Hertfordshire Countryside: Forrester H: Hertford homes in Georgian days: Letchworth: 1946-1961: 150-152; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 192; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 88).

Listing NGR: TL3228712587

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 192
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 88
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1961), 150-152

National Grid Reference: TL 32287 12587


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 10:51:17.

End of official listing