CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ST JOHN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ST JOHN, QUEENS ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268783 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:38:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ST JOHN, QUEENS ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 32799 12457
HERTFORD, QUEEN'S ROAD (East side), Church of All Saints with St John
Parish church. 1893-95, replacing earlier building destroyed by fire in 1891, west tower added 1905, Memorial Chapel completed 1934. Architects Paley, Austin and Paley of Lancaster.
MATERIALS: pink Runcorn sandstone with plain clay tiled and lead roll roofs.
STYLE: Northern Gothic Revival perpendicular style.
PLAN: west tower, nave, chancel, aisles, north-west porch, and south chapel.
EXTERIOR: west tower with 3 main stages, half octagonal stair turret on north, angle buttresses with offsets set back from corners, moulded plinth and moulded bands. West door under shallow 3 centred arch, with moulded and splayed surrounds. A dripmould runs over adjacent arcading and doorhead and has carved poppy heads. West window above with 5 lights and rectilinear tracery with splayed moulded jambs and head and dripmould above. 2-light traceried window with traceried head and spandrels and flat dripmould; clock faces on all sides of tower. Third stage with 2 louvred 2-light traceried openings (north face 1 only) with splayed chamfered reveals, segmental heads and coupled arched dripmoulds, band of traceried panelled ornament below moulded and carved band with corner diagonally set carved gargoyles. Traceried castellated parapet above, with crocketed pinnacles at corners and in centres of each side. Lead-covered chevron pattern octagonal spirelet atop embattled stair turret of north face. North and south aisles divided into bays by projecting buttresses with offsets, above moulded sill band. Each aisle with 3-light rectilinear traceried windows, and with eaves gutter to roof supported on curved iron brackets. North aisle terminates in projecting 2-storeyed hexagonal north-west porch, with buttresses at each corner, a bold moulded sill band, and 2-light traceried windows. Arched opening with ogee moulded jambs and twin wrought-iron gates on north west face; small lancets in centre of each face flanked by checkerboard masonry of cream and pink sandstone. Parapets with offset coping conceals roof. South aisle terminates in chamfered corner with 3-light window similar to those of main south elevation. Clerestory to nave with two 2-light flat headed traceried windows in each bay. Projecting octagonal turrets with embattled tops and low stone domes mark the line of the crossing within, low parapet to roof is heightened over chancel clerestory and has carved panels. Projecting north transept with 5-light window at right under parapeted lean-to-roof, with taller gabled projection at left with high level window, dropping down beyond to low parapeted single storey vestry with 2 and 3-light windows. Moulded band with rosetted and grotesques and panelled door in low ogee arch with shallow mouldings. Dripmould, pinnacles and band above carved with freely flowing poppyheads. South aisle runs into south chapel, 3 bays, with subdivision by buttresses with offsets, angle buttresses at corners, and 2-light windows with rectilinear tracery set within outer arched reveal with segmental pointed arches, parapeted roof. East end has low gabled parapeted roof to south chapel at left, 4-light rectilinear traceried window, with pinnacle surround, dripmould, and central niche above. Chancel window of 7 lights, with heavy moulded mullions giving 2:3:2 subdivision. Rectilinear tracery with 3 centred arched head, dripmould, tall buttresses with offsets left and right, and panel above with 4 recessed blank panels with ogee tracery under flat heads. Moulded parapet, with small upswept centre, and setback gable with octagonal turret on left, central 2-light vent within traceried surround, with projecting cross finial above. INTERIOR: exposed Runcorn sandstone throughout. Tower has large octagonal piers with moulded and splayed plinth, lofty moulded west arch, strengthened by wrought-iron tie rod, and octagonal vault supported on attached castellated half octagonal colonnettes. Nave/chancel arcade of 6 bays, with octagonal columns with moulded bases, capitals with roll mouldings and double arches with chamfer and dripmould above. 2-light clerestory windows. Moulded tie beam roof with queen posts and collars on bay lines, roll moulded wall plates, purlins and ridges, and with shallow flat common rafters with boarded soffit between. Aisles of 4 bays with a fifth bay running through north transept. 4-light windows, panelled oak dado with pulvinated frieze and moulded top. Roofs with shallow moulded tie beam trusses with arch braces set on wall mounted uprights, quadrant moulded purlins. South chapel dedicated as War Memorial Chapel by Bishop of St Albans in April 1934, and separated from church by a light oak glazed screen completed in 1962. Chancel rises from nave up 2 steps, without separating arch, but is marked by a splayed pier against which 2 half octagonal columns similar to the nave arcade are butted. Roof trusses more elaborate, tie beam with arched braces with rosettes and Tudor roses, pierced carved spandrels and queen struts. Irregular bay subdivision with 1 bay plus arch, with 2 windows on north, 2 arcade bays and 1 window on south, capitals carved with rosettes and foliage. Organ chamber in second bay of north transept divided from it by 2 bay arcade, elaborate oak case housing 'Father Willis' organ, 1899.
FITTINGS: elaborate alabaster reredos with carved panel of Last Supper and figures of 4 saints, 1914, presented by RF Andrews. Small piscina in south wall of chancel, ogee-arched with large carved poppyhead, twin sedilia. On north wall is foundation stone for rebuilding of church, laid by Countess Cowper on 23 March 1893. Oak communion rails with urn and bobbin balusters and frieze carved with mouchettes, leaves and vines. Oak choir stalls with bench ends with fleur-de-lys finials. Half octagonal sandstone pulpit attached to north pier dividing chanc el from nave. Octagonal columns, carved band with foliated bosses, carved front with tracery, moulded top rail. Font of polished fossil limestone, octagonal basin on column with attached rolls and shafts, with naive wood cover, carved by Vernon Hall for Christopher Perawne, Vicar 1960-66. First four pews on south side of nave for Hertford Mayor and Corporation, and ends are carved with crests of Borough of 16th and 20th centuries.
STAINED GLASS: east window by Kempe, 1900, in memory of George Pearson of Brickendon Bury, 14 major lights with figures St John the Evangelist and other significant saints connected with the spread of Christianity, the true vine with cross, angels with emblems of the passion and Old Testament prophets above, figures against rich backgrounds with vines and foliage in C15 style. The Memorial Chapel east window in memory of Matthew Skinner Longmore (d.1878), figures of SS Stephen, Peter, Paul and Matthew, stained and painted glass in C16 Flemish style. First window on south wall with figures of SS Elizabeth and John the Baptist, Eunice and Timothy; second illustrating the Annunciation, given in memory of Osmond Henry McMullen and his wife c1920. South aisle, south-west window 6 main lights, C16 Flemish style, figures of Virgin Mary, SS Simon, Malachi, Luke, Habakuk and Anna. South aisle window in memory of Charles Bickers (1807-93) with scenes of Annunciation, Christ with St John, Mary and St Anne, and figures of prophets.
MEMORIALS: 2 fragmentary brasses retrieved from earlier church displayed on north aisle wall to 'John Hunger (d.143?)' master cook to Katherine, wife of Henry V, and the other to Thomas Boose (d.1456). War Memorial Chapel contains a wall memorial to First Battallion Hertfordshire Regiment, black marble surround with white marble tablet inscribed with names of the fallen above a truncated obelisk carved with the County crest, standards, drums and kit entwined with oak and bay leaves, ball finials at side surmounted with flames, designed 1921 by Sir Reginald Blomfield. HISTORICAL NOTE: All Saints Parish dates from prior to C10, and in C11 was joined with the Liberty of Brickendon which was held by Waltham Abbey under a charter from Edward the Confessor. The 'old' All Saints church had been rebuilt C15, was cruciform plan with a west tower, with a peal of 8 bells, and an organ with west gallery were built in 1678. This church caught fire on 21/22 December 1891 and was completely gutted. The Corn Exchange was used as a temporary church for 3 years. Although rebuilding the original was considered, it was decided to construct an entirely new building, and Paley, Austin and Paley, one of the major practices from north-west England were chosen. Edward Graham Paley (1823-95) had been educated at Bluecoat School, and his partners were Hubert James Austin (1841-1915) and Henry Anderson Paley (1860-1946) (son of E. G. Paley). The insurance of the old building yielded only »2800, and building took place in two stages, with the first phase, omitting the tower, costing »12,500, and it was dedicated by the Bishop of St Albans on 20 February 1895. The tower cost »12,000 and it was completed in 1905, as the Victoria Tower in memory of Queen Victoria. The Memorial Chapel was dedicated in 1934.
(Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 178-246; Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 508-9; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Old buildings in the County Town: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 45; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 185-6; Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 174-76; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 51, 123-5; Felstead A: Directory of British Architects 1834-1900: London: 1993-: 32; Dixon R and Muthesius S: Victorian Architecture: London: 1976-: 263; Architects in perspective: Sir Reginald Blomfield: An Edwardian Architect: London: 1985-; Sheldrick G: Three Centuries of Music at All Saints Church, Hertford: Hertford: 1987-).
Listing NGR: TL3279912457
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 263
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 508-509
Fellows, R A, Sir Reginald Blomfield. An Edwardian Architect, (1985)
Felstead, A, Directory of British Architects 1834-1900, (1993), 32
Green, L, Hertfords Past in Pictures, (1993), 51 123-125
Page, F M, History of Hertford, (1993), 174-176
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 185-186
Sheldrick, G, Three Centuries of Music at All Saints Church Hertford, (1987)
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 178-246
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 45
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41382
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing