This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1268933



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hertford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 461312

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3212NE FORE STREET 817-1/17/66 (South side) 10/02/50 No.26 The Salisbury Arms


Inn, now hotel. Early C15, altered and extended early C17 (c1600), mid C17, early C19, mid C20. Timber-framed and plastered, front with restored late C19 pargeting, restored C17 pargeting to Church Street. Low-pitched, hipped Welsh slated upper roof to frontage block above moulded eaves cornice; steeply- pitched old tile and machine tile roofs to wings. Tall red brick chimneys, built in Flemish bond, with square tapered cream terracotta and orange clay pots. Characteristic inn plan with rear courtyard with entrance through the east wing from Church Street, and a long west wing along Bell (formerly Cow) Lane. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 3-bay frontage (raised from 2 storeys and attics early C19), with jettied front (underbuilt early C19) and sides. First floor has 3 canted oriel bays with 8:12:8-pane sash windows (centre 8:16:8 pane), those at left and right having curved spandrels below, and lead flat roofs above shallow moulded cornices, that to centre with canted spandrel below. Above, ornamental pargeted strapwork panels, with interlaced initials 'S.A.' at side, and the date '1570' to centre. Continuation of oriel through second floor with 6:12:6-pane sashes, plain upper spandrel and cornice (part of main eaves cornice). Flush-set 9-pane sash windows left and right on second floor. Ground floor, now flush with upper front beneath original jetty, has recessed triple 3:9:3-pane sash windows left and right. Central entrance with 8-panelled twin leaf outer doors, and early C20 curved plate-glazed doors within. Left (north) and right (south) flank elevations jettied with curved bracket tops to dragon posts visible at corners, and further curved brackets on north elevation below bressumer level. Irregularly spaces flush-set sash windows on all floors. Whole of frontage block covered with late C19 panelled pargeting, with 4 modelled fleur-de-lys in lozenges on first floor front, and modelled vine and grapes running along bressumer; plain rendered plinth. East wing, facing Church Street, of late C15 date. 2 storeys, 2 bays, and jettied, with 2 and 3 coupled C19 sash windows on first floor, 2 coupled and 3 single sashes on ground floor; restored C17 pargeting with pattern of quoins at left and

around first floor double sash window, and raised blocks along bressumer. Long early C17 west wing faces Bell Lane. 2 storeys and jettied, with 5 large irregularly spaced flush-set 12-pane sash windows on first floor, and a C19 mullion and transom multi-light wood casements on ground floor. West wing jettied on both sides, incorporating first floor gallery, now closed in. Courtyard progressively infilled in C19 and early C20, and large bedroom wing, 2 storeys and attics, old tiled roof, red brick, sash windows with rubbed brick arches, constructed along Church Street in 1973-4. INTERIOR: much altered C19 and C20. Ground floor east bar has heavy exposed beams, with dragon beam, in ceiling, other exposed studwork partly late C20 reinstatement. West front bar has plain late C18/early C19 panelled dado. Chamfered beams with tongue stops visible in west wing, vestibule has C18 curved bow window looking towards entrance. To east, against chimney, is mid C17 dogleg stair to first floor, heavy carved newels with pilasters and rustication, balusters of similar patterns, chamfered close string and heavy moulded rail, C18 dado with moulded roll rail, early C19 landing with stick balusters and moulded hardwood rail. First-floor rooms have heavy chamfered and tongue stopped beams, with a length of C18 wood cornice in middle room. The west wing has a cornice with triglyphs and exposed heavy beams with chamfer, stop and concave tongue. Early C19 newel stair with stick balusters leads to attic bedrooms within roof structure, which is not accessible. Cellar with concrete floor and largely C20 brick lining: medieval stonework reported in earlier list description not seen. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Salisbury Arms has always been one of the most prominent of the historic inns of Hertford. It was recorded as The Bell in 1431, and took its present name c1830 after purchase by the Marquess of Salisbury. It served as the Tory headquarters in the notorious 1832 election: the Duncombe (later Dimsdale) Arms further east in Fore Street was used by the Whigs, whose candidate was Tom Duncombe. The building has been substantially altered over the years: a late C18 engraving by Rowlandson shows a structure with twin gables and a central attic dormer with Serliana, overhanging mullion and transom oriels and florid pargeting. (Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 491; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 112; Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 7-9; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire:

Harmondsworth: 1977-: 189; Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 151, 171, 173; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 83-4; Green L: Hertford's Past in pictures: Ware: 1993-: 96; Branch Johnson W: Hertfordshire Inns, Part II: Letchworth: 1962-: 65-6).

Listing NGR: TL3277012573

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , Hertfordshire Inns A handbook of Old Hertfordshire Inns and Beer Houses, (1962), 65-66
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 491
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 7-9
Green, L, Hertfords Past in Pictures, (1993), 96
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 189
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 151 171
Smith, J T, English Houses 1200-1800 The Hertfordshire Evidence, (1994), 173
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 83-84
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 32674 12558


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268933 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:37:29.

End of official listing