Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HARRISON ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268961.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:03:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 32932 12481



TL3212SE CHURCHFIELDS 817-1/20/37 (North side) Harrison Almshouses Nos.1, 2 and 3


Formerly known as: Harrison Almshouses Nos 1, 2 and 3 CHURCH PATH. Almshouses, originally a block of 6 but now refurbished as 3. Dated 1854, with C20 alterations. Red brick, Flemish bond, with cream brick dressings, Welsh slated roof with single and double diagonally shafted chimneystacks with band and oversailing cap. EXTERIOR: single storey, front elevation has 6 small paned wood casement windows recessed under rubbed cream brick flat arches, with yellow brick quoins on jambs, and 3 projecting coped gabled porches, with rubbed cream brick elliptical arches and quoins, recessed C20 half-glazed doors, spacing W:P:W:W:P:W:W:P:W, with central stone coped Dutch gable, and stone coped Dutch gables with external chimneybreasts left and right flank elevations. Inscribed Portland stone tablet in upper central gable laid by John Villiers Townshend to commemorate rebuilding of the Almshouses, in the presence of Lord Dudley Coutts Stewart. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Townshends were successors at Balls Park to the Harrisons; Sir John Harrison (d.1669) left »100 to be invested in property to produce an annual income for the benefit of the poor in All Hallows (All Saints) Parish Hertford, and his widow built and endowed 4 almshouses in Butchery (Bircherley) Green before her death in 1705, her grandson augmented the funds, and the almshouses were rebuilt on the Church Path site in 1854. Bircherley Green had by then become one of the worst slums in the Borough. (Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 366-8, 379-80; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Georgian brickwork of the choicest sort: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 28; Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 92, 177).

Listing NGR: TL3293212481


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, F M, History of Hertford, (1993), 92 177
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 366-368
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 379-380
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 28


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/03124/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].