Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of TOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:04:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 93426 87256



ST9387 OXFORD STREET 758-1/4/276 (East side) 18/01/49 Tower House


Medieval hall with later rear wing, attached to terrace of 4 houses, with inserted tower; one house since early C19, when refronted. Late C15 hall, with a mid C16 rear wing, terrace of four C18 houses; refronted and tower added 1834. MATERIALS: hall of limestone rubble, rear wing of re-used ashlar and carved work (a feature of post-Dissolution Malmesbury) and coursed, squared limestone; tower of rubble with dressings, rubble houses; all rendered to street elevations, with a stone slate roof and 3 ridge stacks. PLAN: open hall parallel to street with an E range at S end, square tower attached within S end of terrace of single-depth houses, with a rear wing to the N end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range, includes 5-storey; 1-window range tower. The hall has C19 openings with a cambered arch to left-hand C19 carriage arch, 2 ground and first-floor windows, that on the first-floor to the S a trefoil in a square head; the E range to the rear has ground-floor lunettes and stable doors, the E section largely original with a blocked 4-light hollow-moulded window and E doorway with chamfered head, and C19 9-pane windows beneath the eaves. The 3 N houses have a middle 1-window range and outer 2-window ranges, that to the right with 6/6-pane sashes and a right-hand 6/9-pane sash in the former doorway, the middle one with a left-hand round-arched doorway and 8/8-pane sashes, and the N one a left-hand doorway, 8/8-pane ground-floor sash and two first-floor sashes with 6/6-panes to left and 8/8-panes to right; three gables to rear elevation. The S house was converted to a tower has a doorway and small window above; the tower has quoins and dressings to round-arched windows to the lower floors, flat-headed to the top storey, with an ashlar parapet. INTERIOR: details include a 3- former 4-bay roof to the hall with collar trusses and chamfered arch braces forming continuous arches, wind braces to the lower 2 registers, and a diagonal through ridge beam; possible former screened passage beneath the tower; the E range has collared trusses with wind braces to the middle register; houses have C19 reeded architraves with plain stops. HISTORICAL NOTE: possibly part of an extensive courtyard

complex with the S range originally stables (Stirling). Town work house from C18 to 1834, when converted to stables. The N house formerly the Salutation Inn before 1803. The tower was built for an astronomical observatory by Richard Pryor. (Stirling D: Secular medieval buildings in Malmesbury, Wilts, 1150-1547: 1986-: 8; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Wiltshire: London: 1963-: 328).

Listing NGR: ST9344587258


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963), 328


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00304/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G Williams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].