This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RED HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RED HOUSE

List entry Number: 1269711

Location

RED HOUSE, LEISTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aldeburgh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460466

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8/9/2016

ALDEBURGH

TM45NE LEISTON ROAD 837-1/2/32 (West side) 27/02/50 Red House

II

House. Late C17 core, extended to south early in C18 and given a mid C19 facade to east, forming double-pile plan. Red brick; machine tiled roofs with irregular stacks, including square C17 chimney plinth on rear range, with 7 octagonal flues. EXTERIOR: main front of 2 storeys and 3 bays: 2-storey 3-window extension to left. Main front has central double-leaf door with glazed upper panels set behind a C20 glazed porch. One 8/8 unhorned sash right and left; on first floor, three similar sashes. Extension has half-glazed door between canted bay window to right and two horned sashes with 8/8 glazing bars to left: three similar sashes on first floor. Rear: patches of irregular early C18 brickwork and casement windows from various periods. INTERIOR: one chamfered bridging beam with jewel stops to north-west ground-floor room, the east stops cut off to allow construction of main front block. Late C19 stick-baluster staircase in front block. HISTORY: This was the home of the composer Benjamin Britten and his partner, the tenor Peter Pears, who lived together at the Red House from 1957 until Britten’s death in 1976.  Pears continued to live there until his death in 1986. The Red House is now the home of the Britten-Pears Foundation.

Listing NGR: TM4546857880

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 45468 57880

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1269711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 04:45:21.

End of official listing