Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270639.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 14:58:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57145 39565



SK5739NW MAID MARIAN WAY 646-1/20/365 (East side) 11/08/52 Church of St Nicholas (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE GATE Church of St Nicholas)


Parish church. 1671-1682, replacing a church destroyed during the Civil War. East end dated 1699. South aisle 1756, north aisle 1783. Altered early C19, and interior remodelled 1863. Restored 1906 (tower) and 1959 (chancel). Red brick with ashlar dressings and copper and slate roofs. Main elements have plinth, quoins and parapets. PLAN: chancel, vestry, organ chamber, nave, aisles, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel, single bay, has crenellated parapet. Cross mullioned east window, 5 lights, and similar south window, 3-lights. Vestry, to south, steeply gabled. has to east a 3-light window and door with elliptical arches, and to south a smaller 3-light window. Gabled organ chamber, to north, windowless. Nave has a round-arched 3-light window in the east gable. Aisles, 5 x 2 bays, have round-arched windows, 3 lights, with keystones. North aisle has crenellated parapet and chamfered pointed arched doorways in the second and fifth bays, with the fifth window reduced to a fanlight. West tower, square, unbuttressed, 3 stages, has string courses, and corner pedestals to parapet. Cross mullioned west window, 4 lights. Second stage has clock to north. Bell stage has traceried 2-light bell openings. INTERIOR: rendered, has scissor braced roof to nave and cross beam roofs to aisles, with arch braces. Chancel has a coffered elliptical arch and 2-panel ceiling with dentillated borders and roundels, cross beam on scroll brackets, panelled wainscotting, all C18. East window stained glass 1913. Round arch to organ chamber on north side, doorway to south. Nave has arcades of Tuscan columns, 4 bays, and round arch at west end. South aisle has a stained glass window, c1920, and gallery at west end. North aisle has round arch to east. Tower chamber has coved barrel vault with wooden ribs, panelled wainscotting and door to gallery. Fittings include inlaid octagonal wooden pulpit, 1783, and reused late C17 communion rail. Remainder C20. Memorials include tablet, 1717, obelisk tablets, 1739 and 1749, C18 brasses and war memorial brass, c1920. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 224; Church guide: Jones M: Nottingham: 1988-1990).

Listing NGR: SK5714539565

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Jones, M , Guide to the Church of St Nicholas Nottingham, (1990)
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 224
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16416/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].