Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270647.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:57:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57133 42363



SK54SE MANSFIELD ROAD 646-1/4/390 (North West side) Church of St John the Evangelist


Parish church. 1843. By William Surplice. Chancel 1866-77 by Jackson & Heazell. North aisle 1922, by AE Heazell & Son. All Nottingham architects. Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave, south porch, north aisle, lady chapel and porch. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped parapets and gables. Pointed arched windows with hood moulds. Chancel, Decorated style, 2 bays, has corbel table. East end has angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, and a resited window, 1843, 5-lights. South side has 2 windows, 2-lights, divided by a buttress and pinnacle. Vestry, to north, flat roofed, has a 3-light flat-headed window to east, and a similar window and door to north. Nave, 5 bays, has buttresses with pinnacles removed, and at the west end, a cross-gabled wooden bell turret. South side has 4 graduated triple lancet windows, and to west a gabled porch with pointed arched door and hood mould. West end has two flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and to left, a pointed arched door. Lady chapel, Perpendicular style, has to east a 3-light window, and to north a 2-light window, untraceried. North aisle, 5 bays, has 4 similar windows, 2-lights, and a gabled porch with chamfered doorway. West end had a graduated window, 3-lights. INTERIOR: rendered, has a roll moulded chancel arch with shafts, and a small pointed arched opening to left. Chancel has a principal rafter roof with large wooden angel corbels. East end has a stained glass window, 1948, by Pope & Parr of Nottingham to Ichabod Wright, died 1871. South side has 2 stained glass windows, late C19. North side has organ arch and blank recess. Nave, 5 bays, has a thin hammer beam roof with arch braces. North arcade has smaller end bays, octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Stained glass window to south east, 1862, to Ichabod Wright. West end has 2 small windows. North aisle and lady chapel have a wooden barrel vault. Lady chapel has a segmental pointed arch, and stained glass east window c1944. North side has a stained glass window, 1922, and a piscina. South side has organ arch. North aisle has to north a mid C19 stained glass window, and at the west end, mid and late C19 memorial windows to the Wright family. Fittings include octagonal font with arcaded base, 1846, C19 chairs, and remaining fittings C20. Memorials include a few mid C19 tablets. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 263).

Listing NGR: SK5713342363


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 263


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/03458/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geri Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].