Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270663.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 01:54:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84691 90378



SJ8490 STENNER LANE, Didsbury 698-1/25/648 (South side) 25/02/52 Church of St James


Parish church. Rebuilt in early C17, further rebuilt and enlarged at various dates in mid to later C19: tower of 1620, nave 1855, chancel 1871, east half of south aisle 1895. Red sandstone, slate roofs. West tower, nave and aisles in one (nave now incorporating former chancel), chancel, parallel south "transept" and vestry. The 2-stage tower, with diagonal buttresses, has a moulded plinth, C19 Perpendicular west doorway with 4-light window above, a drip-band, small 2-centred arched belfry windows of 2 arched lights with stone louvres, moulded cornice, and parapet of large open-work hoops with crocketed corner pinnacles; and on its north side a moulded 2-centred arched doorway, and just below the drip-band some panels with crudely-formed raised lettering: SR EM:K : FOVN EM: ESQ: SR GBK A.MWID : DERS PATRON : BARONET The north aisle, which is divided into 2 portions by a buttress terminating in a crocketed pinnacle, has 2 large C19 segmental-pointed windows and a rounded arched window in the western portion, all with hoodmoulds which have figured stops, 2 large square-headed transomed windows in the eastern portion, and a continuous parapet. The south aisle has an unusual south vestry near the west end, square in plan, with a side-wall chimney, and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles both heavily decorated with carved heads and masks; to the right of this, two 3-light windows, then the parallel south "transept" and vestry, 2+2 bays, with buttresses, transomed windows to the former (like those on the north side), Perpendicular windows to the latter, and continuous parapet with tall crocketed pinnacles. The chancel has a large transomed 10-light east window and 2 windows on the north side, all in Perpendicular style. Interior: unusual a-stylar 4-bay arcades of tall cylindrical columns with moulded annular caps carrying plain semicircular arches; former chancel arch with Puritan angels at the springing, and beyond this 2-bay arcades of 2-centred arches; chancel arch moulded in 2 orders, with shafts; late C19 pulpit of white marble and alabaster under earlier wooden sounding board; good early C17 wall monument in transept, commemorating Roland Mosley (d.1616), son of Nicholas Mosley, in Renaissance style, composed of a 3-bay Ionic colonnade surmounted by a central Corinthian architrave with cresting, with kneeling figures in each part; and various wall tablets .

Listing NGR: SJ8469190378


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/04282/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Madders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].