SK3385NW WILSON ROAD
784-1/35/788 (South West side)
Synagogue. Dated 1929-30. By Mansell Jenkinson. Brick with
reconstituted stone dressings, some painted, and slate roofs.
Stripped Classical style. Cross plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus basement; 5 bays. North entrance
front has projecting central feature with 2 pairs of side
pilasters, entablature with triglyphs and breaks, stepped
blocking course and plain gable with star. Recessed central
bay has a semicircular Doric portico with Hebrew inscription
on the frieze, covering a pair of panelled doors flanked by
margin glazed windows. Above, 4 square windows divided by
brick pilasters, with 4 similar windows above. Side bays,
flanked by pilasters, have a 2-light mullioned window on each
floor, with a framed panel between floors. Above the windows,
a wreath. Beyond, on either side, lower side bays with
round-arched first floor windows with elongated keystones, and
below, 2-light windows with brick mullions.
Left return has projecting central feature of similar design,
with panelled brick corner pilasters and concrete inner
pilasters. 4 windows on each floor, divided by brick pilasters
and horizontal diaper-work panels. On either side, a recessed
bay with 2 tall round-arched windows, divided horizontally by
diaper-work panels. Beyond, slightly lower projecting bays,
that to the right with 2 tall round-arched panels with
elongated keystones, each containing two 2-light windows on
each floor. Left bay, towards the rear, has similar plainer
fenestration and 3 basement windows.
Simpler right return has projecting central gable with
clasping buttresses. Two 2-light windows, and above, a 4-light
window. 2 round-arched basement openings. Flanking bays have 2
windows on each floor. Projecting outer bays have two 2-light
flat-headed windows on each floor. Rear bay has a canted
projection to the basement and door with overlight.
Rear has 2 plain first floor windows and above, a splayed
recess containing a shallow 3-light bow window with hipped
roof. On either side, 2 windows. Basement has a tall 5-light
window with shorter central light, flanked by recessed double
doors with overlights.
INTERIOR has shallow plastered groin vault with ribs and 3
chandeliers. At the front, a splayed recess with semicircular
stone steps and marble wall panels. Central polished granite
Ark with shallow gable and Hebrew inscription. Beyond, on
either side, rabbis' seats, enclosed by railings. Above, an
ornamented choir gallery under an elliptical arch and
half-dome, flanked by round-arched panels with pilasters.
On 3 sides, bow fronted panelled galleries with rosettes, and
square corner piers. At the rear, 2 half-glazed doors, and on
the gallery, 2 similar splayed double doors.
FITTINGS include panelled hardwood benches and freestanding
semicircular pulpit with bronze railing. Square central bimah
with wrought-iron railing and lamps at each corner.
President's pew in front.
Basement prayer room has engraved and stained glass memorial
windows. Reading desk and curtained book cabinet, fitted
benches. 2 inscribed tablets, 1877.
Listing NGR: SK3343785949