CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1270726
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HOLGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270726.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:50:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HOLGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54111 34805

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK53SW HOLGATE, Clifton 646-1/9/279 (South side) 14/04/54 Church of St Mary the Virgin (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON Church of St Mary the Virgin)

GV I

Parish church. Mainly C14. North arcade c1190, south arcade c1290. Clerestory added and tower raised, late C14, chancel enlarged, north transept and porch added, late C15. Restored 1846 by Cottingham, 1873 by Hodgson Fowler, 1884 by Bodley, 1965-75 by GG Pace, and 1975-83 by R Sims. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Buttresses, coped parapets and gables. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. PLAN: chancel and vestry, transepts, crossing tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch. Adjoining parish room to south, late C20. EXTERIOR: chancel, 2 bays, has a pointed arched east window, 5 lights, with panel tracery. On each side, two 3-light flat-headed windows, traceried, on a sill band. North side has a moulded pointed arched door. Vestry, 2 bays, to south east. Transepts have angle buttresses and 3-light pointed arched windows, the north with transom. South window partly blocked by additions. Each has two 3-light windows to east, the north flat-headed, the south pointed arched. Crossing tower, square, unbuttressed, 3 stages, has chamfered string courses and crenellated parapet. Middle stage has a pointed arched opening, 2-lights, on each side, and clocks to north and west. Over the east opening, a blocked ogee headed opening, 2-lights. Bell stage has 2 pointed arched openings, 2-lights, to east and west, and pointed arched 3-light openings to north and south. Nave clerestory has on each side 3 traceried windows, 2 lights. West end has a pointed arched 2-light window with Y tracery, flanked by similar smaller aisle windows. North aisle, 3 bays, has a central porch with low pitched gable and pointed arched doorway. To east, a flat-headed window, 3 lights. To west, a smaller 2-light window. South aisle, 2 bays, has pointed arched windows, 2-lights. At the east end, a projection in the return angle with 3 lancets in the gable. INTERIOR mainly rendered, chancel scraped. Chancel has chamfered arch with octagonal responds, and painted flat roof with bosses. East end has stained glass window, 1852, and reredos by Bodley, 1884. North side has segment-arched door. South side has piscina, triple sedilia and Tudor arched doorway dated 1632. Crossing has double chamfered arches and flat ceiling with bosses. Late C20 traceried glazed screen to east. North transept has late C20 pitched roof, and contains Clifton family monuments. South transept has a similar roof, and 2 doors to south under the window, all late C20. Nave has low pitched roof with arch braces on corbels. North arcade, 3 bays, Transitional style, with round piers and responds, and arches with keeled roll moulding and nailhead band. South arcade has octagonal piers with foliage capitals, and double chamfered arches. West window blocked by organ case. Aisles have lean-to roofs and double chamfered eastern arches. Fittings mainly late C19 and late C20. Octagonal font and C17 parish chest. Memorials include several to the Clifton family, in the north transept, notably late C14 knight, and chest tomb with female figure, late C14, alabaster. Chest tomb with 3 figures, c1587, to Sir Gervase Clifton and wives, by Gabriel Royley of Burton on Trent, alabaster. Outstanding wall monument with table tomb, crest, obelisks, and casket of bones, 1631, to 3 wives of Sir Gervase Clifton. Wall tablet 1666, to Sir Gervase Clifton, with bust in oval niche, painted marble. 2 ashlar tablets, late C17 and C18, with memento mori. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 269; Introduction to the Church of St Mary: Rev. A Heaton: Nottingham: 1985-).

Listing NGR: SK5410634808

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457258
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heaton, A , Introduction to the Church of St Mary, (1985)
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 269

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06803/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Kennedy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].