CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270769
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, HARTLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:51:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, HARTLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 55229 40632

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE HARTLEY ROAD, Radford 646-1/4/245 (North West side) 11/08/52 Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. 1812. By Henry Moses Wood of Nottingham. Chancel and side chapel dated 1871. Vestry late C19 with mid C20 addition. Ashlar with slate roofs. C20 addition yellow brick with stone facing. PLAN: chancel, organ chamber and vestry, aisleless nave, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel and chapel, Gothic Revival style, has plinth, buttresses, coped gables with crosses, and tile crests. East end has a 5-light window with geometrical tracery, north and south sides have single pointed arched windows, all with hood moulds. Organ chamber, to south, has a round-arched dated panel, with a round window above. Vestry, to north, gabled, with flat roofed C20 addition. Nave, Gothick style, 6 bays, has pointed arched openings with hood moulds, and crenellated parapet. To south, 4 windows with Y tracery, flanked to west by a matching doorway and to east by a traceried window with a priest's door below it. North side has 6 windows with Y tracery, and west end has 2 similar windows, blank. Square west tower, 3 stages, has diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet. Pointed arched west door. Above, a traceried round window on 3 sides. Bell stage has a pointed arched opening on each side with Y tracery. In the north-west angle, a single cell square projection with hipped roof. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has heavily moulded arch with hood mould and triple marble shafts. Flanking the arch, segmental pointed openings with altar to south and door to north. Pointed arched barrel vault with wooden ribs. Windows have C19 stained glass. Nave has moulded cornice and flat ceiling, pointed arched doors and internal porch. C19 gallery removed and C20 screen with stained glass panels inserted at west end. Fittings mainly late C19 including octagonal ashlar font and pulpit. Wooden reredos, 1927. Memorials include Gothic marble tablet, 1840, and traceried panelled wooden war memorial, c1918. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 254-255).

Listing NGR: SK5522940632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457227
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 254-255

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14252/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].