Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270902.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 17:34:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 99964 70725



ST9970 THE GREEN 755-1/5/157 (South side) 19/05/50 No.19 Priestley's House


House. C16; refronting dated 1758. Limestone ashlar, coursed rubble sides, right-hand ashlar gable stack and slate and pantile roof. Double-depth plan with a long rear W wing. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement; 3-window range. Divided by plinth, plat band, thin cornice and parapet, with roll-moulded coping to front gables, and parallel gabled range behind. Entrance between left-hand windows has a raised surround with pediment, and swept steps and curtail up with a wrought-iron railing to a 6-panel door. Paired mid C18 windows in raised surrounds to slightly recessed 9/6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. 2 large early C19 hipped 4-light dormers with leaded casements, and a smaller 6-pane dormer between. 3 basement openings have ovolo mullions, of 3 lights to the centre and right, and 4 to the left. A panel above the door inscribed C/F*E/1758. The left-hand gable has a window in a former door; the rear gable has altered C20 mullion and transom ground- and first-floor windows, and a chamfered stone-mullioned attic window. S front has a central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered reveals, and a long W range, a C17 former malthouse with blocked 2-light mullion windows to semi-basement, later C18 2-light wood-framed windows inserted with segmental-arched lunette window in S gable, and 3 small eaves gables to the attic drying floor. INTERIOR not inspected but reported to include a C16 full-width semi-basement remodelled C17; 4-centre ovolo moulded doorhead re-used with C17 chamfered jambs; 5-centred arched stone lintel to fireplace with moulded head converted for use as oven. Ground and first floors with chamfered oak beam and floor boards. C17 fireplaces; first-floor hob grates. Later C16 moulded wall beam re-used as doorway lintel in malthouse. Rear dormers show ends of extended collar beam trusses. HISTORICAL NOTE: originally a continuous range with No.20 (qv) and the White Hart Hotel (qv), the semi-basement extends beneath all three; divided into 2 houses, and refronted, in mid C18 by the Child family of Heddington. The home of Dr Priestley c1772-9 who in 1774 discovered oxygen while working as librarian for the Earl of Shelbourne at Bowood House.

Listing NGR: ST9996470725


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13910/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Exton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].