CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1271043
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, RANMOOR PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271043.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:39:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, RANMOOR PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 31952 86280

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38NW RANMOOR PARK ROAD 784-1/5/613 (East side) 28/06/73 Church of St John

II*

Parish church. South-west tower and spire 1879, by EM Gibbs. Remainder 1887, by Flockton & Gibbs, following the destruction of the earlier church by fire. North-east vestry c1900. Restored 1973. Reredos, carving and architectural sculpture by Frank Tory. Rock-faced Ancaster stone with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate and lead roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: apsidal chancel, transepts, vestry, nave with clerestory and aisles, narthex, baptistry, north-west porch, south-west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, corbel table, shouldered coped gables with crosses, gabled buttresses. Pointed arch windows throughout. Chancel has central 3-light window flanked by two similar 2-light windows, with geometrical tracery and linked hoodmoulds. Transepts have 3-light windows lancets with wheel windows above, and on their east sides, 2-light windows, that to north partly covered by the vestry. Single storey vestry has five 2-light windows to north and a double door and 2-light window to east. 5 bay nave has five pairs of 2-light clerestory windows on each side. West gable has a wheel window with a small graduated lancet above it. Below, canted baptistry with 3 lancets, flanked on each side by a 2-light window. On either side, a buttressed octagonal turret topped with a spire. Aisles have five 2-light windows, 2 to north-east partly covered by vestry. North aisle also has a stone side wall stack. North-west porch has a wheel window and below it, a glazed double door. 3 stage south-west tower has string courses and 4 pinnacles. Heavily moulded south doorway under a traceried gable. Returns have single lancets. Second stage has a 3-light blind arcade on each side, with shafts and linked hoodmould. Bell stage has a traceried 2-light opening on each side, under small gables. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes and weathercock. INTERIOR: has painted vault to chancel with moulded wooden ribs and wall shafts, and roll moulded arch with triple shafts and hoodmould. Cusped blind arcade on all sides, with sedilia on each side and triple gabled canopy to high-relief alabaster reredos. Transepts have painted single bay vaults. North transept contains organ. South transept has similar arch with round central pier and double inner arch with quatrefoil in spandrel, and traceried wooden screen. Above the transept arches, a 5 bay graduated blind arcade. Nave has 5 bay arcades with round piers, foliate capitals and moulded arches. Triforium with 4 arches in each bay, the bays defined by ringed shafts. Arch braced principal rafter roof with wall shafts and traceried spandrels and ceiling with painted panels. West end has a large central arch flanked by single smaller arches, with triforium and wheel window above. Aisles have moulded arches to west and arch braced roofs with wall shafts and traceried spandrels. South aisle has moulded eastern arch into transept. North aisle has double doorway to vestry and moulded east arch containing organ. Narthex has moulded arch at each end and arch braced roof with panelled ceiling, traceried spandrels and wall shafts. Baptistry has moulded arch and rib vault with shafts between the windows. Tower porch has double chamfered doorway with hoodmould. Both porches have panelled ceilings and glazed double doors. FITTINGS include stained glass by Heaton Butler & Bayne, Clayton & Bell, WF Dixon, Powell Bros. of Leeds and Victor Milner of London. Ornate ashlar and marble font with cusped arcaded pedestal and spire cover. Square traceried oak pulpit on clustered ashlar pier with marble shafts. Double sided brass eagle lectern with buttressed twisted shaft, 1892. Traceried stalls and benches, some with fleur-de-lys finials. Brass war memorial, 1918. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 458; Victorian Society Northern Architectural Adviser: letter: 1990-; The First Hundred Years (centenary pamphlet): Rev G Needham: Sheffield: 1979-; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Listing NGR: SK3195286280

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
456276
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Needham, G, The First Hundred Years Centenary Pamphlet of Church of St John Sheffield, (1979)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 458
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/46857
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/46860

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/02612/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].