SK3587SW NORFOLK ROW
784-1/24/542 (North side)
28/06/73 Cathedral Church of St Marie
(Formerly Listed as:
Roman Catholic Church of St Marie
(with vestries etc))
Cathedral church and attached parish room. 1846-50. By
Weightman & Hadfield. Munster Lady Chapel 1878-79 by ME
Hadfield & Son. Ashlar and coursed squared stone, with ashlar
dressings and steep pitched slate and lead roofs. Gothic
PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel with side chapels, lady
chapel, parish room, transepts, nave with clerestory, aisles
with south porch and north side chapel, south-west tower with
EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, string courses, coped parapets and
gables with crosses. Windows have hoodmoulds. Chancel east
gable has angle buttresses and a 7-light pointed arch window
with flowing tracery, hoodmould and mask stops. South side has
a 3-light window with Kentish tracery and similar hoodmould.
South-east chapel has a 2-light pointed arch window to east
and a similar 3-light window in the south gable. Below it, a
transomed 2-light window with blind tracery and flat head. To
left, a canted projection with string courses and 3 lancets.
To right, a single-storey square porch with chamfered pointed
doorway and steps to west, and a 2-light window to south. At
the south-east corner, an octagonal stair tower, 3 stages,
topped with a leaded spire. Three 2-light pointed arch windows
to the top stage. To right, single-storey parish room with
parapet. To left, a 3-light window and to right, five 2-light
windows, all with flat heads. Below these, 2 small mullioned
openings. To right, a 2-storey canted porch with parapet,
crenellated octagonal stair turret, and large clustered side
wall stack with 3 flues. To west, a chamfered square headed
double doorway and above it, a double niche with figures, with
nodding ogee canopies and crocketed gables. On each side, a
crocketed gable, and below, 2 shields. Right return has a
small 2-light flat-headed window, and below, 2 flat-headed
single light windows.
North-east chapel has to north two 2-light pointed arch
windows. Transepts have gables with angle buttresses and
4-light pointed arch windows. South transept has a 3-light
pointed arch window to west.
Nave clerestory has on each side a 2-light and seven 3-light
pointed arch windows with linked hoodmoulds. West end has a
4-light pointed arch window with a trefoil above it, and
below, a central moulded doorway with hoodmould. South aisle
has buttresses and to left of the porch a 2-light pointed arch
window, and to its right, 2 similar windows. Right buttress
has a niche with figure.
South porch has crocketed angle buttresses and coped gable
with moulded doorway with triple shafts and hoodmould. On each
side, a trefoil window.
North aisle has a moulded doorway with single shafts and above
it, a 3-light pointed arch window with central canopied niche.
Both have hoodmoulds. On either side, a 3-light pointed arch
window, and in the west end a similar window. North side
chapel has 2 single lancets to north and a 2-light pointed
arch window in the west end.
South-west tower, 3 stages, has gabled 2 stage clasping
buttresses topped with crocketed spires. To west, the lower
parts of the buttresses have figure niches. First stage has to
south and west, a 3-light pointed arch window. Second stage
has a niche with figure to south and a similar window to west.
Bell stage has a 2-light pointed arch bell opening on each
side. Set back octagonal spire is linked by flying buttresses
to the tower pinnacles. 3 tiers of lucarnes with crocketed
INTERIOR: chancel has arch braced hammer beam roof with ogee
wind braces and traceried spandrels, all painted and gilt.
Double coved arch with hoodmould and angel stops and clustered
triple shafts. East end has roll moulded window surround.
South side has to east a doorway and a 4-seat sedilia with
crocketed gables. To west, a moulded arch with a 6 bay
Decorated stone screen with Latin inscription and wall
painting on the chapel side. North side has west arch with
organ and east arch with wrought-iron screen.
South chancel chapel has Decorated style traceried stone
screen to west, and elaborate reredos and 2 stained glass
windows to east, flanked to right by a piscina. South side has
an Early English style blind arcade with figures of saints.
Lady chapel has screen wall with Decorated style balustrade
and moulded pointed doorway flanked by single windows. The
octagonal turret has blind arcaded lower level and stone
winder stair leading to shrine with moulded pointed arches and
2 round piers, framing a central large standing figure.
North-east chapel has coffered panelled wooden vault and
wrought-iron screen and gates. Stained glass windows, C19 and
C20, to north and east, and traceried aumbry to east.
Transepts have common rafter roofs with collars. South
transept has 2 arches to east, into adjoining chapels. North
transept has to east a single arch into the east chapel, and 2
shrines with gilt figures. Nave has a 5 bay arcade to south
and a 6 bay arcade to north, with clustered quatrefoil piers,
double chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Arch braced
panelled wagon roof. West end has a stained glass window.
South-west bay has a stilted segmental arch to the tower
South aisle has strutted lean-to roof and mid and late C19
stained glass windows. Moulded doorway with stoup. North aisle
has similar roof and segmental pointed doorway with niche and
figure above it, flanked by stained glass windows. Moulded
east arch to transept.
North side chapel has arch braced lean-to roof with wall
shafts and traceried east opening into transept. Glazed tile
dado with memorials to priests. Rib vaulted tower chamber has
moulded arches and is fitted with late C20 confessionals.
STAINED GLASS: nave and south transept west windows designed
by Pugin. East window by G Goldie. South transept south window
FITTINGS include chancel reredos designed by Augustus Welby Northmore
Pugin, 1850, organ case, 1875, by J F Bentley, and C19 traceried
Other fittings C20.
MEMORIALS include shrine with alabaster figure, 1850, by
Thomas Earp to Fr Charles Pratt. Gothic wall tablet with
relief figures, 1885, to Matthew Hadfield, architect. Ashlar
table tomb with effigy below it, 1849.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 451-452).
Listing NGR: SK3547487293