COUNCIL DEPOT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1271530
Date first listed:
22-Dec-2000
Statutory Address:
COUNCIL DEPOT, WHITE HART ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNCIL DEPOT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271530.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 19:59:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNCIL DEPOT, WHITE HART ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 45490 78933

Details

TQ4578 WHITE HART ROAD 786/22/10132 Plumstead 22-DEC-2000 Council Depot

II

Former electricity generating station, subsequently council depot. 1903 by Mitchell and Sumner. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Complex plan, with main hall flanked on one side by offices, with smaller halls on the other side served by ramp. Halls mainly with round-arched windows in stone surrouds with keystones; some flat-headed windows, also with keystones, and metal glazing bars. Pilasters to blind side walls with bands of stonework; glazed clerestory and single chimney to side. Large round stone arch over double doors in three-bay end walls, with gable window. Offices a symmetrical compostion of two storeys and attic, with tall stacks, pyramidal roof and high pointed dormers with stone mouldings. Five bay frontage with central door in Gibbs surround. Timber sash windows with small panes to upper sashes and keystones, those to ground floor linked by elaborate stone band. A similar baroque serves as a cornice. Stone corners. It is flanked by two-bay single-storey side wings, with flat roofs and similar corner decorations. These have round-arched tripartite windows.

Interiors. Main generating hall has tiled interior with blue and red tiled dado, white tiles above, and articulated by blind arcade and pilasters. Steel truss roof and clerestory. Full-width overhead travelling crane. Second hall has brick walls painted white under similar steel truss roof and clerestory; the third hall is thought to be an addition, is floored, and has been subdivided. Long ramp up to this third hall, with offices underneath, their windows of metal glazing under flat concrete heads.

Elaborate interiors to office block, with flat balustered timber stair, double doors in timber surround with decorative coloured glazing. Offices with timber doors in eared surrounds, and with fireplaces.

The large site was openend in 1903 as a combined refuse incinerator and electricity generating station, supplying street lighting and domestic interiors. Power generation ceased in 1923, incineration in 1965. Its architecture survives substantially intact, complete with its fine offices, and is a good example of an early power station, while the combined incineration use is novel. Save that the chimney has gone, this is a very well preserved power station for this early date.

Sources

The Industrial Archaeology of South East London, Goldsmith's College Industrial Archaeology Group, 1982.

Darrell Spurgeon, Discover Woolwich and its Environs, London, 19990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487648
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].