This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CORAM'S FIELD PLAYGROUND, FORMER FOUNDLING HOSPITAL AND GATES AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CORAM'S FIELD PLAYGROUND, FORMER FOUNDLING HOSPITAL AND GATES AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1271627

Location

CORAM'S FIELD PLAYGROUND, FORMER FOUNDLING HOSPITAL AND GATES AND RAILINGS, GUILFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477973

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ3082SW 798-1/95/728

CAMDEN GUILFORD STREET (North side) Coram's Field Playground, former Foundling Hospital and gates and railings

(Formerly Listed as: GUILFORD STREET Forecourt buildings, gates & railings to the former Foundling Hospital)

10/06/54

GV II The surviving forecourt buildings to the former Foundling Hospital, now Coram's Fields Playground. c1742-53 by Theodore Jacobsen for Captain Thomas Coram; with various later additions and alterations. Reconstructed 1964-8 by G Bryant Hobbs. The only buildings in their original form are the northern sections of the east and west ranges, restored by English Heritage London Division c1988. Stucco and painted brick with slated roofs. EXTERIOR: central entrance gateway: distyle central stone gate pier with engaged Doric columns, entablature, blocking course and round-arched alcoves to north and south elevations.Flanked by C20 cast-iron railings and gates attached to Porters' lodges: small, rectangular, single storey; each with pitched roof and eaves cornice over projecting single north facing window bays with architraved, round-arched sash windows and impost bands. Pedimented porches, facing east and west, on gable ends, with round-arched doorways and narrow windows, above which stucco swags and putti. South side loggias: single storey with Doric half-columns, central round-arched doorways flanked by round-arched windows. Slated pitched roof with projecting eaves cornice. These flank projecting central two storey brick pavilions with pitched slated roofs. Five window bays. Ground floor with six Doric half-columns supporting an entablature at first floor level. Round-arched doorways and windows. First floor with three oculi. Eaves cornice. The Band Room in the south-east corner. Single storey, five windows. Round-arched windows with lunettes above. Cornice and blocking course with slated hipped roof. Rebuilt on similar lines to a former mid C19 building. Mary Ward Youth Club in the south-west corner. Two storeys, five windows. Round-arched French doors at ground floor level. Recessed sashes to first floor. Cornice and blocking course with slated hipped roof. Built to balance the Band Room. East and west loggias: two ranges of single storey loggias with Doric columns carrying simplified entablature with bracketed eaves cornices. Slated, pitched roofs. The northern halves of each loggia are open, the southern halves closed in with round-arched French windows. Terminated at the north ends by projecting stucco pavilions with round-arched recesses and openings linked by impost bands and surmounted by a lantern. Projecting central pavilions with three round-arched windows and Doric half-columns supporting entablatures with pediments. Blind oculi in the tympanums formerly with modelled figures and coats of arms. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Foundling Hospital was built 1742-53 for Captain Thomas Coram and demolished 1926. The memorials and heraldic glass from the former chapel and the statue of Coram from the main entrance were transferred to the new hospital built at Berkhamstead. The former court room, committee room, picture gallery and works of art were retained in the new building at No.40 Brunswick Square (qv).

Listing NGR: TQ3047182226

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 11-42

National Grid Reference: TQ 30471 82226

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 06:37:07.

End of official listing