PROPYLAEA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1271822
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
PROPYLAEA, CASTLE SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271822.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 11:36:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
PROPYLAEA, CASTLE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chester Castle
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40403 65841

Details

SJ 4065 NW CHESTER CASTLE CASTLE SQUARE

4/602 Propylaea (formerly listed as Grand 1.6.67 Entrance, or Propylaea with retaining walls and railings of forecourt)

GV I

Propylaea. 1811-1813. By Thomas Harrison of Chester. Ashlar Manley sandstone with lead roof. Central gateway with colonnades to either side connecting with pavilions. West front: Central gateway of tetrastyle amphiprostyle form with 2 rows of Greek Doric columns which are monolithic and fluted to their upper bodies but merely faceted below. Standing on abaci they have wider intercolum- nation to the centre. Doric entablature above with metopes guttae and mutules continuing around gateway. Panelled attic storey above with raised tablet to centre. To rear dividing wall are a central gateway of full height with lower pedestrian gateways to either side and sunken panels with moulded surrounds over these. To either side are blank walls with mouldings to tops connecting the gateway to the side pavilions which each have two fluted Greek Doric columns to the centre and antae to the corners. Doric entablature above continuing around each pavilion. Pediment with blank tympanum over. Each has a wider opening between the central columns. East front: Central distyle gateway with antae to sides all being monolithic and the central columns fluted to their upper bodies and faceted below. Panelled attic and raised tablet as on west front. Dividing wall has gateways and panels as on west front. One-bay colonnades to either side supported by antae. Portico wings to either side each of tetrastyle form with second phalanx of columns distyle in antis behind, all monolithic. Wider intercolumnation to centre. Entablature over supporting pediment with blank tympanum. The Gateway colonnades and wings all have stone coved ceilings. There are rectangular pedestals to apex and lower angles of pediments. J Mordaunt Crook says of the building in his book The Greek Revival that it combines "direct antique inspiration - the Temple of Philip at Delos and the so-called Temple of Augustus at Athens - with the primal simplicity of the Sublime and the variety of light and shade associated with the Picturesque".

Sources: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of the Architectural, Archaeological and Historic Society, Chester and North Wales. New Series Vol XXVI Part II.

Nikolaus Pevsner and - The Buildings of England : Cheshire. Edward Hubbard J Mordaunt Crook - "The Architecture of Thomas Harrison" Country Life, April 22, 1971.

Moira A R Ockrim - "Thomas Harrison and the Rebuilding of Chester Castle: A History and Reassessment". Journal of the Chester Archaeological Society, Vol 66, 1983.

Listing NGR: SJ4040365841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
452901
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mordaunt Crook, J , The Greek Revival, (1972)
'Country Life' in 22 April, (1971)
'Journal of the Architectural Archaeological and Historic Society Chester and NWA' in The Architectural Archaeological and Historic Society , , Vol. 26, ()
'Journal of the Chester Archeaological Society' in Journal of the Chester Archeaological Society, , Vol. 66, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04053/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].