CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1271988
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAULS HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Jul-2020 at 00:15:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAULS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU 47664 29926

Details

SU 42 NE 869/12/10020

WINCHESTER ST PAULS HILL (Northeast, off) Church of St Paul

II Anglican church. 1872-1889 by John Colson; completed 1902 and 1910 by John B Colson. Flint with freestone dressings. Plain tile roofs. STYLE: Decorated. PLAN: wide nave, chancel, N and S aisles and transepts. The chancel was built in 1872 and the nave and transepts were completed in 1889. The aisles were added in 1902 and 1910 to the designs of John B Colson [the younger]. A tower was planned, but not built. EXTERIOR: a broad church, asymmetrical, with 3 gables facing west with 4-light nave window with a wooden bellcote above, flanked by 2 and 3-light aisle windows. 2-light N and S aisle windows and 3-light transept windows; all with Geometrical tractry; large 4-light E window with intersecting tracery. Lean-to vestry on S side and organ chamber on N side of chancel, and gabled porch on west of south aisle with moulded 2-centred arch; gables have stone coping with apex crosses; buttresses with weathered set-offs and string at window cill level. INTERIOR: wide nave with 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers with moulded capitals and pointed arches, plus wider transept arches without capitals; chancel arch on corbels with colonnettes. Open timber roofs: nave and aisles arch-braced on corbels, nave with king-posts; transepts and chancel with coIlar-rafters, the chancel an unceiled wagon roof. Furnishings include:- simple choir stalls, brass altar rail and lectern, C18 hexagonal pulpit with carved panel and moulded font with shafts to stem. An important feature of the church is the sgraffito mural decoration in the chancel, of 1904, by George Heywood Sumner. It consists of three large panels on the N and S walls of the chancel, depicting: the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son and the Parable of the Talents, surrounded by borders of vine ornament, which also continues in panels flanking the E window. The sgraffito murals were entirely covered in plaster in about 1962, but a small area has been revealed on the south wall, and it is planned to restore the whole scheme, which survives under the plaster. SOURCES: Pevsner N: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 693-:

Listing NGR: SU4766429926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468776
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 693

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14688/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Matthews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].