This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1272285



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Portsmouth

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 6200 NE 774-1/17/217

MAIN ROAD (West side), HM Naval Base No 11 Store (Building No 1/59)



Alternatively known as: Present Use Storehouse, MAIN ROAD HM NAVAL BASE Naval store, now museum, library and offices. 1763 by Templar, Parlby and Templar; restored after fire damage 1874 (Riley). Red brick with some glazed blue headers, in English bond; ashlar dressings. Flat-topped mansard slate roof with lead top. PLAN: rectangular plan with central ground-floor entry and stair.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with cellar and attic, 13 x 3 bays. Ashlar plinth and 1st-floor band and sill band; stepped brick eaves band below plain ashlar cornice; coped parapet. Ground-floor openings (originally doorways) have round-arched ashlar surrounds with keystones rising into 1st-floor band, plinth blocks, and imposts. Windows are 18-pane sashes, 12-pane to 2nd floor, with gauged bright-red brick flat arches and ashlar cills (some cills replaced in concrete); flat-roofed attic dormers. Rainwater pipes with bulbous heads. North-east elevation: bays arranged 5:3:5 the centre projecting slightly below pediment with later clock; central panelled double door in eared architrave with tripartite keystone, flanked by windows. Doorways to other ground-floor bays, now windows, have round- arched ashlar surrounds with plinth blocks, imposts, and keystones rising into deep 1st-floor band. Rear: as north-east elevation, central 2nd floor loading door with crane; oculus in pediment. Returns each have central entrance and loading door above, with double doors, fanlights with radial glazing bars and cantilevered landings to loading doors (that to left return now replaced by late C20 bridge providing link to No.10 Store (q.v.)); right return retains crane-housing. Building surrounded by raised pavement of granite slabs carried on iron arches at front and brick plinth at rear, with iron grilles above cellar windows (formerly trap doors on rear side).

INTERIOR: cellar: transverse brick walls between bays carry round-arched brick vaults; passage along rear side. On floors above, square wooden columns support large-scantling cross-beams and joists; wide wooden floorboards; ground floor reconstructed as museum gallery but retaining some old floorboards including some reused ships' timbers. Some of the 1st and 2nd floor rooms board-lined, the eaves boards with flower-like vents. Original heavy central wooden stair rising from ground floor to attic has open well, closed string, shallow treads, turned balusters, square newels with moulded caps and broad moulded handrail (a more decorative stair than those in the slightly later No.9 and No.10 Stores, q.q.v.). Roof board-lined with braced queen-post trusses of large-scantling timbers.

HISTORY: one of three large stores (with Nos 9 and 10 q.q.v.) forming a notably fine group. Much of the Georgian yard was taken up with stores, and these are the most-architecturally distinguished surviving examples in any of the naval yards. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 132-136; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 410 ; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 7, 10).

Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 132-136
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 410
Riley, R C, 'The Portsmouth Papers' in The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth, (1985), 7, 10

National Grid Reference: SU 62807 00540


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:45:18.

End of official listing