CHAIN AND CABLE TEST HOUSE AND STORE, CAPSTAN, CHAIN HAULAGE-WAYS ON NORTH (BUILDING NUMBER 1/41)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272294
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHAIN AND CABLE TEST HOUSE AND STORE, CAPSTAN, CHAIN HAULAGE-WAYS ON NORTH (BUILDING NUMBER 1/41), SOUTH RAILWAY JETTY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAIN AND CABLE TEST HOUSE AND STORE, CAPSTAN, CHAIN HAULAGE-WAYS ON NORTH (BUILDING NUMBER 1/41)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 15:04:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAIN AND CABLE TEST HOUSE AND STORE, CAPSTAN, CHAIN HAULAGE-WAYS ON NORTH (BUILDING NUMBER 1/41), SOUTH RAILWAY JETTY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 62785 00344

Details

SU 6200 SE SOUTH RAILWAY JETTY HM Naval Base Chain & Cable Test House & Store, Capstan, chain Haulage-ways on N (Building No 1/41) 774-1/18/233

GV II

Naval chain and cable test house and store, with capstan and chain haulage-way on north side. 1844-47, by Captain RS Beatson (Royal Engineers), roof by H Grissell; new annealing house 1866, extended 1879- 80 for more powerful testing machinery; bomb damaged 1940 with much rebuilding subsequently of external structure; floor relaid 1991-92. Red and brown brick in Flemish bond; mid C20 work of pink brick in English and stretcher bonds. Roofs of corrugated metal with long roof lights. PLAN/ EXTERIOR: large single-storey rectangular structure comprising a number of parallel-roofed ranges with others at right angles. Original circular iron windows, small-pane metal windows with segmental brick arches, stone lintels or mid C20 concrete lintels and sills. Sliding board doors with similar arches/ lintels. On west side, principal range (probably 1879/80 with mid C20 repairs) of 9 bays arranged 2:2:1:2:2 has central door flanked by paired windows with further pairs of windows at each end flanked by broad brick pilasters rising into stepped brick eaves. On north side, 13-bay range on right has 3 doors; from the left- hand door and door of range on left haulage-ways of granite setts run out of the building towards a waisted, turning bollard. INTERIOR: a cast-iron frame of 2 aisles of Tuscan columns on plinths to I-section beams and tied at three-quarter height by segmental-arched ties with moulded spandrels, support roof trusses with paired wrought-iron ties and decorative cast-iron struts. Floor is of wooden blocks and granite setts, and has haulage-ways of iron ballast castings bearing arrowhead design and letters "PO". There are turning bollards, formerly operated by the 2 capstans, and an inspection pit. HISTORY: the first testing and storage facility for iron cables, introduced into the navy from 1830s. Principally chain storage space, with E testing house, N junk (worn cable) store, S painting shop and chain cleaning shop, with annealing furnace; a new annealing house was added 1866 and new test house with more powerful testing machinery in 1880. The iron ballast castings bore the Portsmouth Dockyard identification motif so that commercial dockyards undertaking refitting would know where to return the ballast. A remarkable survival of interest as an example of fire proof design which clearly manifests its unique purpose. Beatson was also responsible for the Fire Stations and No.6 Boat Store at Portsmouth (qqv). (Sources: The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 15-16 ; Evans D: The Buildings of the Steam Navy: 1994: 6-8).



Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476681
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Evans, D, The Buildings of the Steam Navy, (1994), 6-8
Riley, R C, 'The Portsmouth Papers' in The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth, (1985), 15-16

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05055/29
Rights: Copyright IoE David R. Grounds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].