Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272706.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:11:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rushcliffe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 70982 46097


KNEETON CHURCH LANE SK 74 NW (north west side) Church of St. Helen 1/107 1.12.65


Parish church. C14, C15. Restored and partly rebuilt by Ewan Christian 1879-90. Coursed and random rubble and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, chamfered plinth, partial sill and eaves bands, coped gables with kneelers, one with cross. Windows are C19. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, early C15, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, chamfered eaves band, 4 diagonal gargoyles and crenellated parapet. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs. To east, 2 plain buttresses. First stage has to west a triple lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Third stage has 4 early C15 double lancets with panel tracery and hood moulds. Nave, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves band. North side has 2 buttresses and capped stack. To east, a Decorated lancet. To west, 2 Decorated double lancets. South side has a single buttress to east. To east, a Decorated double lancet with hood mould, and to its right a similar single lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has to east a pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has sill and lintel bands and late Decorated style triple lancet with hood mould. South side has cove and roll moulded off-centre priest's door flanked by Decorated single lancets with hood moulds. Vestry, C19, has coped gable with kneelers. To north, a Decorated lancet with hood mould. To east, chamfered pointed doorway. South porch has cross-gabled coped gable with kneelers. Moulded C14 style south doorway with shafts with octagonal capitals and bases. Common rafter roof with collars. Inner south door has double cove moulding and rebate. Aisleless nave has C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces on corbels. South side has stained glass window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1877. Tower arch. C14. Chamfered and rebated, with stepped conical octagonal imposts. Restored chancel arch has moulded octagonal imposts. Chancel has scissor braced principal rafter roof with arch braces and octagonal corbels. On each side, chamfered pointed doorway. Fittings include early C14 tub font with moulded rim and short round stem. Late C19 panelled octagonal oak pulpit on octagonal ashlar base. C19 timber lectern. Poor box made from moulded C15 beam with stops. Chamfered softwood benches with trefoil panels. Similar clergy desk and choir stalls. Monuments include oval marble tablets, 1755, 1768, 1818, and 2 brasses, C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK7098246097


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06378/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Lawrence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].