CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF BEVERLEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1272713
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF BEVERLEY, HAWKSWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF BEVERLEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272713.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:14:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF BEVERLEY, HAWKSWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Scarrington
National Grid Reference:
SK 73496 41597

Details

SCARRINGTON HAWKSWORTH ROAD SK 74 SW (south east side) 4/126 Church of St. John of Beverley 1.12.65

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Rebuilt 1867 by J. H. Hakewill. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar with plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths and sill bands. West tower with spire, nave, vestry, chancel, south aisle. West tower, early C14, 2 stages, has 4 corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. String course, moulded eaves and parapet, 4 spouts. Setback rockfaced ashlar spire with 3 tiers of cusped gabled lucarnes, finial and wind vane. First stage has to south, 3 stair lights. To west, doorway, early C14 with foliate and ball flower bands. Remains of hood mould with finial and mask stops. Above, C14 double lancet. Second stage has 4 mid C14 cusped ogee headed bell openings. Nave, 3 bays, has single buttress to east, and lean-to shed with door in return angle. To left, C16 triple lancet with moulded Tudor arched opening and hood mould. To right, 2 C19 chamfered lancets with hood moulds. To right again, C16 square headed double lancet with hood mould. Lean-to vestry, C19, has a chamfered lancet to east. Chancel, 2 bays, has ashlar quoins and moulded sill band. North side has to east a chamfered lancet. East end has shouldered headed lancet, C13 style, with hood mould and mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door with hood mould, flanked by single plain lancets, that to right larger. South aisle, C19, 3 bays, has sill band and 2 pairs squat corner buttresses. South side has 3 chamfered lancets. East and west ends have double lancets with hood moulds. Tower chamber has C19 timber draught screen and staircase door with timber jambs. C14 tower arch, double chamfered and rebated, has imposts with moulded octagonal capitals. Traceried panelled glazed screen, 1960. Nave south arcade, early C14, 3 bays, has to east octagonal pier with moulded round base, round seat and restored foliate capital. Respond has moulded square base and capita with nailhead. To west, round pier with water holding base, round seat, and moulded capita . Respond has similar smaller base and capital with nailhead. Double chamfered arches have hood moulds and 4 mask stops. Roof has 2 C16 arched tie beams and C19 double tie beam. C18 principal rafters with double butt purlins and collars. South aisle east and west end windows have round shafts, hood moulds and stops. South side windows have four centred arched heads. That to east has stained glass to T. D. Readett-Bayley, signed "P and Q", 1956. Softwood lean-to roof with arch braces on corbels. Chancel arch, C14 style, restored, double chamfered, has angel corbels as imposts. Chancel north side has recess with a round shaft and moulded C14 lintel with mask boss on C19 corbels. Window to right, has shafts and hood mould. Stained glass and brass to Mary Marsh, signed "A. Hughes, London, 1870." East end has moulded sill band with central gable with crocketed finial. Dentillated gradine and alabaster reredos with relief panels and mosaic cross, flanked by foliate tile panels. C13 style east window has trefoil head, shafts, shaped hood moulds with stops and stained glass, 1846. South side has to east, cove moulded piscina, C13 style, with hood mould and stops. Eastern window has shafts and hood mould and stained glass, 1891. Smaller window to west has stained glass, 1870. To right, small chamfered aumbry. Principal rafter roof with arch brace on corbels. Vestry has no architectural features. Fittings include simply moulded matchboard benches, stalls and desks, C19. C19 timber lectern. C19 panelled softwood pulpit. Font, 1662, poor condition, round shaft with tapered octagonal bowl, moulded rim, strapwork panels, and C19 cover. Disused square font with chamfered corners and chamfered tapered square shafts. C17 communion table, with heavy vase shaped turned legs, brackets to top rail with foliate panels. Memorials include Classical marble and slate tablet, 1829, tablet 1902, marble and slate tablet with ramped top, serving as war memorial, c.1920. Oval ashlar war memorial tablet with wreathed border, 1945. C20 brass. Benefaction boards with moulded frames. 1816 and later C19. Board referring to grant for restoration, 1867.

Listing NGR: SK7349641597

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448152
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38800

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03968/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Sales. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].