CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1272726
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272726.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:02:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Flintham
National Grid Reference:
SK 73882 46104

Details

FLINTHAM CHURCH LANE SK 7346 (north east side) 7/64 Church of St. Augustine 1.12.65

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1828 by Nicholson for Colonel Hildyard, and 1896 by Hodgson Fowler. Coursed and herringbone rubble and ashlar. Lead and slate roofs. Nave, crossing tower and chancel. Nave, 3 bays, C15 style, 1828. Chamfered plinth, diagonal and intermediate gabled buttresses, moulded eaves, coped parapet and gables. Windows are triple lancets with panel tracery and hood moulds. South side has to west, splayed doorcase with hood mould, traceried panelled door, and triple overlight. To right, 2 lancets. west gable has a lancet. North side has 3 lancets. East gable has to right, small door to stair turret. Unbuttressed crossing tower, C13, single stage, has chamfered plinth and dressed stone quoins. Moulded eaves and coped parapet. Pyramidal slate roof with finial and weathercock. South side has blocked C13 arch containing C19 double lancet, C15 style, with four centred arched head. Above, unglazed opening. Above, each side has a C19 cusped double lancet, C15 style, with hood mould. West side has to left, canted stair turret with moulded eaves and conical roof. Blocked C13 opening. Chancel, C13 and C14, 3 bays, has chamfered and moulded plinth, stepped sill band, chamfered eaves, coped gable with cross. North side has central blocked doorway with, above it, C13 lancet. To left, similar blocked lancet. To right, similar taller lancet. All have hood moulds. East end has 2 pairs of gabled corner buttresses. C16 four light lancet with coved reveal, hood mould and mask stops. South side has gabled buttresses. Off-centre C13 chamfered priest's door, flanked to left by 2 C13 lancets, all with hood moulds. To right, C14 double lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and foliate stops. Aisleless nave has panelled dado, moulded cornice and panelled plaster ceiling. South side has late C19 glazed draught enclosure. East end has to left, canted stair turret with broached corner. Crossing has to east and west chamfered C13 arches with round filleted responds and moulded capitals and bases. Hood mould on east side. North and south sides have blocked C13 arches with simpler moulding. Chancel has C16 low pitched roof, restored C19, with moulded cambered tie beams, moulded purlins and matchboarding. North side has to east, chamfered aumbry. South side has to east C13 piscina with cove moulded trefoil head with hood mould. Westernmost window has re- set C18 stained glass Arms. Built up central platform with ashlar gradine. Fittings include font, C14, moulded base, octagonal ringed stem, plain octagonal bowl with coved rim. Flat C18 wooden cover with large oval knob. Unusual oak altar rail with turned cylindrical balusters and moulded rail, possibly made from stair balustrade, c.1600. 4 similar balusters assembled into side table. Large oak altar table, turned legs, low stretchers, chip carved top rail, c.1600. Panelled oak chest with painted inscription "WB TS 1633". C19 wooden lectern, with turned stem. C19 traceried panelled oak pulpit. Panelled benches with moulded ends, late C19. Clergy desk, late C19. Panelled oak choir stalls and book stands, mid C20. Monuments include framed benefaction board, c.1811, signed "J D Curtis Sc". Large alabaster wall tablet with Latin inscription on slate tablet to Richard Hooker, 1654. Scroll brackets, flanking panels with cornucopiae and arms. Crest with painted Achievement and scroll brackets. C13 effigy of Crusader, damaged. Reputed to be Sir John Hose. Marble tablets 1785 and 1860. 4 Thoroton and Hildyard family hatchments, late C18 and C19. 3 Hildyard family brasses, C20. Large Baroque style painted wood memorial tablet to Thoroton and Hildyard families, 1977. War memorial brass, 1920. Stone tablet, C20.



Listing NGR: SK7387846105

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448073
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26290
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06532/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Lawrence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].