This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UPTON HELLIONS BARTON INCLUDING CIDER HOUSE AND STORE ADJOINING TO NORTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPTON HELLIONS BARTON INCLUDING CIDER HOUSE AND STORE ADJOINING TO NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1272809

Location

UPTON HELLIONS BARTON INCLUDING CIDER HOUSE AND STORE ADJOINING TO NORTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Upton Hellions

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 447509

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 80 SW UPTON HELLIONS

3/287 Upton Hellions Barton including cider-house and store adjoining to north-east

II*

Gentleman's home, now farmhouse. Built circa 1566 for Dr George Carew, modernised circa 1792 for Richard Read and again in C19 and C20. Volcanic and mudstone rubble, plstered on front; rubble stacks with C16 rubble and C19 and C20 brick chimney shafts; thatched roof to domestic ranges, slate roof to cider house. 3 adjoining blocks ranged around rear courtyard. Main block facing south-east has 3-room and through passage plan with small inner room at right (north-east) end and high quality parlour at left end with kitchen/services in rear south-west wing. North-east rear wing behind inner room is now a cider-house and store. Rear lateral stacks to hall and parlour and large lateral kitchen stack to south- west range. Circa 1692 stair block added to rear of parlour. 2 storeys throughout with attic rooms to main block and cellar beneath parlour. Plastered south-east front has symmetrical fenestration at left end around front door and irregular at right end giving overall 5 window elevation of C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars. Main door is left of centre behind late C19 gabled and tiled roof with trellis sides. Original circa 1566 oak doorway has elliptical head, a double hollow-chamfered surround with ornate pyramid stops and contains studded oak plank door with strap hinges of same date. C20 secondary door at right end and north-east gable end largely rebuilt in C20. Roof is hipped to left and left corner has C16 offset buttress of volcanic ashlar. All other elevations of exposed rubble. Left (south-west) end of main block has circa 1792 fenestration; a first floor 4-light flat-faced mullion window with iron casements and leaded glass, and 2 similar 3-light windows to ground floor replacing single C16 window indicated by central Beer stone hoodmould. South-west wing to left has C20 windows each side of enormous projecting kitchen stack which has moulded drip course at top below C16 tall paired chimney shafts with moulded capping across both. Roof has half-hipped end. End wall has central ground floor C16 oak 4- light ovolo-moulded mullion windows but first floor rebuilt with C20 brick. The courtyard side of the wing includes a C16 oak door frame with ovolo-moulded surround with straight cut stops containing oak plank door hanging on strap hinges with fleur de lys terminals. Rear of main block contains late Cl7 stair block to right, rear passage door with C16 oak door frame with double-ovolo moulded surround and containing studded oak door with moulded vertical cover strips, and at left side large projecting hall stack with original chimney shaft and remains of moulded capping. North-east range has 3-window courtyard front of C20 plain mullioned windows (mostly unglazed) heavy oak door frame with chamfered surround and slate roof. Good interior: although most C16 and Cl7 features are concealed by C19 and C20 work. Through passage has double-ovolo moulded beam. Plastered hall-passage screen is said to comprise C16 oak small-panel screen with moulded rails and muntins. Hall now subdivided, the fireplace blocked and ceilings lowered. Parlour has high ceiling carried on plain chamfered crossbeams and includes supposed garderobe closets in front wall (and similar blocked closets apparently serves first floor chamber). Circa 1692 dogleg stair to rear of parlour has closed string, square newel posts and turned balusters. The first flight has half balusters and handrail applied to wall and across concealed cellar door which hangs on H-L hinges. Main block roof is also circa 1692 comprising the beam trusses with high collars and low queen struts (all pegged mortise-and-tenon joints) carrying chamfered butt purlins. The ties take the upended plank joists of attic floor. Rear block has side-pegged jointed cruck roof. The cider house has part floored apple loft and contains a cider press and C19 machinery. C19 king-post roof. Sources: Correspondence between Prof. W G Hoskins and house owners.

Listing NGR: SS8378403472

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 83784 03472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 11:34:57.

End of official listing