CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273942.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:00:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 15768 32174
SK 13 SE PARISH OF SUDBURY MAIN ROAD
3/63 (West Side)
13.9.67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, early C14, early C15, 1827 and extensive restoration 1872-5 by George Devey. Sandstone ashlar, lead roofs with stone coped gables. Moulded plinth band. West tower, clerestoried nave with aisles and south porch, chancel and north chapel. Low west tower with diagonal buttresses. Moulded stringcourse at arch springing level of west window. Two-light west window with renewed Dec tracery, and hoodmould continuous with the stringcourse. 2-light bell-openings on each face with simple Dec tracery. Eight short pinnacles and C18 balustrade. Gabled south porch and aisle with plain parapets. 2-light Dec style west window. 3-light Perp style east window and two plain square headed 3-light windows to south with Dec style tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermiediate buttress. The north aisle is also gabled, with a plain parapet and similar West window. The north side has a blocked C14 ogee-headeddoorway with moulded hoodmould and above it a carved relief of an angel. C15 window of 4-lights under a triangular head and with a transom. Projecting vestry and organ chamber of 1827 with Dec style windows. The north chapel has a bricked up north window with square head and a 2-light Dec style east window with transom and a small quatrefoil window over. The chancel has a steeply pitched roof, two square headed 2-light windows to south, with transom and ogee lights. Between them a low buttress and priests doorway. Impressive 6-light early C14 Style east window. Nave clerestory has battlements and three 2-light windows with ogee headed lights under flat heads. Restored C12 south door- way with a continuous roll moulding and one order of colonnettes. Studded plank door with iron C-hinges. Interior.3-bay north and south arcades with double chamfered arches and hoodmoulds. The north arcade on circular piers the south on octagonal. Capitals with nailhead decoration. The arcades are probably early C14 but in their present appearance look C19. Double chamfered tower arch, the capitals with nailhead. Double chamfered chancel arch dying into the imposts. Double chamfered arch to organ chamber with a coved parapet wall forming a balcony. To the right a small much restored C12 window. Double chamfered arch from the north aisle to the north chapel on corbels with nailhead. Moulded four- centred arch to inner chapel. Pointed wooden tunnel vault to chancel. Nave and aisles have panelled roofs with tie beams and curved braces on angel corbels. Roofs all date from 1872. Monuments. Pair of marble tablets with black inlay lettering c1646 (South porch). Marble tablet to Thomas Freer, died 1904, with carved relief (chancel north). Brass to the fifth Baron Vernon, died 1866 by Hart, Son Peard & Co of London (nave north). Elaborate neo-Quattrocento tablet c1898 to the sixth Baron Vernon; tablet with heavy bolection moulded surround, to Robert Smith died 1721 (both in north aisle). In the north chapel: John Vernon died 1600 and his wife Mary died 1622, she on a tomb chest, he above under an arch between baluster columns. Two defaced effigies of women c1300. Tablet to George Vernon died 1780. Plain tablet to Anne Vernon, died 1837, by Hall. George Vernon, died 1702, fine aedicule wall tablet with coat of arms above, by Edward Stanton, erected in 1710. St Thomas Vernon died 1709, large wall tablet. Margaret Vernon died 1675 a freestanding monument with urn on a pedestal, possibly by Edward Pierce. Five wall tablets in the south aisle: George and Frances Vernon died 1835 and 1837 Grecian twin stelae in relief by John Francis of London. Martha Vernon died 1808, Cathaline Vernon died 1776, two identical ,Grecian, style tablets. Henry Vernon died 1829, Gothic. Two Vernon children died 1862, pretty oval showing the two asleep and a few trails of blossom. Brass beneath by Waller. Rich C19 tiled floor in chancel. C14 cusped ogee piscina (chancel south). C19 Alabaster reredos. C19 woodwork. Victorian gothic font. Stained glass in the east window given in 1849 by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, bright colours, flat and pictorial, figure scenes in architectural setting. It was later toned down by a semi-opaque coating on the outside. Said to be by a German artist. Seven other late C19 stained glass windows. Some of the south aisle windows may be by Burlison and Grylls.
Listing NGR: SK1576832174
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 10 Derbyshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing