CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274765
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274765.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 06:38:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Cucklington
National Grid Reference:
ST 75522 27775

Details

ST72NE CUCKLINGTON CP

5/1 Church of St Lawrence

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and later, with major C19 rebuild by G B Crickmay. Local lias and Cary stone, cut and squared with ashlar dressing; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables with finials, sheet aluminium roof behind parapet to aisles. 4 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and North South aisles of 2 bays, with organ chamber and tower on South West corner doubling as porch. Chancel mostly C19 in C13 style, with rough plinth, triple lancet East window with vent over and C19 traceried window on South side with blocked simple chamfered pointed arched doorway. Organ chamber has corner and bay buttresses with offsets; 4-centred arched 3-light C16 pattern traceried window in deep recess to East wall and C19 door in North wall. North aisle has a 2-light and a 3-light window, such restored, in C15 style, to North wall, and a 3-light 4-centre arched window with C16 tracery in deep recess to West wall, under a label with square Tudor rose stops. Nave has a double cusped lancet window in the North wall, a window to match that of the North aisle in the West wall; and in the South aisle two 2-light C16 hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched heads to light under flat heads with squared labels, with between them a blocked moulded 4-centre arched doorway. Tower a rebuild of 1705, in 2 stages, with angled corner buttresses on South face less than one stage high, string courses, gargoyles, and battlemented parapet; in South wall a 4-centre arched doorway with double order ovolo mouldings above which is a plaque giving date and details of rebuilding; to stage 2 a clockface below a small 2-light C15 traceried pointed arched window under label, with stone baffles, much eroded; to East side a single and a 2-light C16 flat headed window, both without labels, with similar single-light windows to West face: tower crowned by small timber turret with lead cupola and weathervane probably of 1705. Plain 4-centred arched doorway into nave, probably recut. Inside the chancel mostly C19 character except for East window, with hollow chamfered arch probably C15 into organ chamber, and squint into South aisle; carved oak panel reredos depicting Christ in the Garden dated 1889: triple arcade between nave and South aisle St Barbara's Chapel-centre arch probably C15, smaller flanking arches of C1880, and fragments of C15 stained glass of East window to this aisle, wiith unexplained C15 corbel bracket in wall nearby: nave has C19 chancel arch but arcade into North aisle of C13 style, with no imposts to the columns; the screen between North aisle and organ chamber may incorporate parts of C15 screen. Fittings mostly C19, but font probably of 1705 between Norman style. Memorials include, in organ chamber, large tablet to Dalton Family of Lattiford House (Holton CP QV) who supplied several C18 rectors; also two memorials to Watts family of Shanks House (qv) dated 1729 and 1735 under broken pediment with urns, with family arms, in South aisle; also hatchment board of 1660 in North aisle, list of rectors begins in 1317; little known of general history, except that the church was severely damaged in a storm of 1705, necessitating reroofing and reconstruction of the tower. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; also board in church porc

Listing NGR: ST7552227775

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
261698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11670/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeremy Gray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].