VERDLEY PLACE, INCLUDING TERRACE WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1274920

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: VERDLEY PLACE, INCLUDING TERRACE WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of VERDLEY PLACE, INCLUDING TERRACE WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 17:57:11.

Location

Statutory Address: VERDLEY PLACE, INCLUDING TERRACE WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Fernhurst

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 90300 27352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list;

FERNHURST Verdley Place, SU 92 NW including terrace walls 7/10007 II

Large house, later office. Built between 1873 and 1875 by Anthony Salvin for his friend Charles Savile Roundell MP, extended in matching style by an unknown architect from 1889, stabling converted to offices in later C20. Vernacular Revival style, one of only two houses by Salvin in this style, the other being his own house in the same parish,"Hawksfold". This house was originally called Oeborne House. Asymmetrical building of Bargate stone rubble with ashlar dressings and tile hung upper floors. Tiled roofs with tall brick chimneystacks. Two or three storeys; irregular fenestration. Salvin west wing north or entrance front has to extreme right an external stack with the initials C and J and the date 1873, but shield of Sir Felix Otto Schuster who was the owner after 1907. A bartizan tower leads to a projecting gable with 4-light windows. To the left is a further gable with 2; 4 windows and gabled porch with bargeboards. Two-centred arched entrance and linenfold panelled door. Three tier staircase window to left with heraldic glass. To left is 1889 service wing of 3 storeys with paired sashes and to the extreme left a one storey former stable block, the courtyard glazed over for office use. West wing south front of two storeys, 6 windows. Mainly mullioned and transomed casements but 5-light oriel under gable and 6-light bay to ground floor right and octagonal ground floor window to extreme right end of Salvin building. 1889 extension to east has adjoining four storey water tower with pyramidal roof and weathervane. To the right is a two storey three bay portion with projecting gable with oriel to second floor and canted bay below. To the extreme east is a one storey billiard room with projecting gable and 6-light square bay. East side elevation has hipped tiled porch with balusters and double doors with elaborate hinges. Attached to the house is a low curving terrace wall incorporating two stone benches. Interior has staircase hall with Jacobean style staircase with fretted arches as balusters and square newel posts with carved knops. Armorial staircase window with leaded lights and 4 stained glass shields with mottoes "J'ESSAYERAI", "NEC PRECE NEC PRETIO","IN GOTT ALLEIN" and "TREU UND FEST". Paired fluted Ionic columns and elaborate fireplace with marble surround, wooden panels of old Flemish carvings and caryatids, this is set within a 7-sided alcove with Tuscan columns, 6 shell niches and motto "IN GOTT ALLEIN", which dates the feature to Schuster's occupation. Old Dining room has ribbed ceiling with ovolo-moulded cornice and two fireplaces with triple stepped overmantels. Six-panelled door. Old Library has plastered ceiling with pendants. Drawing Room has elaborate cornice with stylized fish and eels, panelling and mantelpiece incorporating architectural fragments from the Low Countries. Former Billiards Room has fireplace with four-centred arch in marble, red De Morgan tiles and Flemish panels of religious subjects and putti. Panelling has Composite pilasters. Service staircase has stick balusters, mahogany handrail and column newel.Some original fireplaces to first floor, including one with antique Delft tiles.

Listing NGR: SU9030027352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 413867

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing