WYE COLLEGE, CLOISTER QUADRANGLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1275610

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: WYE COLLEGE, CLOISTER QUADRANGLE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYE COLLEGE, CLOISTER QUADRANGLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 03:53:47.

Location

Statutory Address: WYE COLLEGE, CLOISTER QUADRANGLE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Wye with Hinxhill

National Grid Reference: TR 05490 46858

Details

TR 0446 0546 WYE HIGH STREET (north side)

8/267 Wye College, 13.10.52 Cloister Quad- rangle

GV I

College. Founded 1432, occupied by 1448. Founded by Cardinal Archbishop John Kempe. Altered 1739. Timber framed on flint base and clad with red brick, and structural flint and red brick. Plain tiled roofs. The original college consisted of this cloister (domestic ranges and great hall) and detached school house and service building, such as the surviving brewhouse (see items 8 / 265 and 8 / 266 .). South (Old Entrance) front flint ground floor with string course to red brick upper storey with hipped roof, with stacks to centre left and centre right. Five glazing bar sashes on 1st floor, C15 Perpendicular cusped lights on ground floor, 1 pair, 1 triple and 4 single. Central panelled door in pedimented porch with barley sugar columns with bobbin-like capitals (the tomb of Lady Joanna Thornhill in Wye College also has barley sugar columns - she refounded a school in the college 1708). Left return (to churchyard) roughcast on ground floor with 3 light cusped windows to left and to right, with central arched doorway to cloister garth. Glazing bar sashes on brick 1st floor. Other exterior faces now within early C20 quadrangles, that immediately to east showing the moulded arched doorway through to the cloister, with mullioned square headed window over, and the Hall with 2 four-centred arched mullioned windows of the C15, and full height canted bay with 3 tier mullioned and transomed lights, the bay part of early C20 work. Cloister garth: the east wall with 2 depressed arched windows to Hall with brick stack project- ing between them (truncated shaft). Originally fully framed, the arcade and gallery over rebuilt 1739 in red brick in English bond, with simple arcaded ground floor, plat band and boxed eaves, with glazing bar sashes on 1st floor. Within the inner wall the original, and fine, moulded C15 doorways survive, with C17 and earlier doors, C15 in some cases? Particularly good the wave moulded doorway with plank and stud door to the staircase. Interiors: Hall: renewed screen passage at southern end, with C15 four centred arched doorways. Four centred arched stone fireplace with fireback dated 1610, possibly the date also of the wainscotting with fluted pilasters and cornice. Crenellated dais beam. Tall octagonal crown posts on moulded tie beams. Fragments of stained glass (Kempe's Arms) in bay window. Parlour (later library): to north of Hall, entered also via cloister by linenfold panelled door in fluted surround to Ante room, with painted wainscotting. Parlour with heavily enriched panelling with foliated and scrolled pilasters, grotesque heads on bifurcated frieze with dragon motifs. Heavily carved and enriched beams. Stone fireplace carved in same manner as panelling with linenfold panel overmantel Structurally C15, decoratively late C16, the bay window and bookshelves c.1900 (and 1980). Staircase: (in the north range) C17 open well with half-landing, with heavily moulded rail on turned balusters with moulded string, and great doubled newels, acting as pedestals for statuettes (nearly naked figures now kept in other rooms in the old part of the College). The top flight becomes a newel stair. The timber framed structure apparent in the upper floor, with crown posts throughout, with octagonal capitals and bulbous bases. Upper rooms with double arcaded panelled overmantel and bead moulded wainscotting with strapwork frieze (over the Parlour range). Modern chapel formed at west end of range, behind the stair. South cloister range: Senior common room. Enriched stone fire- place and moulded beams. Simple C18 stair (to pedimented south entrance doorway), with wreathed rail and geometric plan. Northbourne room: decorated C18 with doors of 6 raised and fielded panels, with wainscotting. Stained glass dated 1346, 1546 and HW 1635. Upper rooms (offices and bedrooms) with simple C18 and C17 panelling (arcaded overmantel, fluted pilasters and carved plinth in office). Some exposed panelling. The college founded by Kempe was for a Master, a Master of Grammar, 6 clerks and 2 choristers. Dissolved 1545 and sold to private hands, always with the proviso that the Grammar School be maintained (see the Latin School), item 8/266 ), the south side of the cloister was used as the Master's residence. From 1708 the northern half of the College was used for Lady Joanna Thornhill's Charity school. In 1724 the 2 schools were devided the buildings, bought 1892 (and expanded) by Kent and Surrey County Councils as agricultural college, now the Agricultural Department of the University of London. (See B.O.E. Kent II 505-6; Hasted VII, 354 ff).

Listing NGR: TR0547446856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 411818

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801), 354
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1976), 505-6

End of official listing