CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275773.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:08:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- Sturton Le Steeple
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 78799 83871
SK 78 SE STURTON LE STEEPLE CHURCH STREET
5/106 Church ot St Peter and St Paul 1.2.67 G.V. II*
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1870 by Ewan Christian. Burnt down 1901 and rebuilt by Hodgson Fowler, 1901- 02. Dressed stone, ashlar, snecked stone, coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble. Graduated slate and lead roofs. Ashlar dressings. West tower and tower chamber, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, mid C14 and C15, has deep moulded and chamfered plinth. 3 string courses, eaves band, 8 gargoyles, crenellated parapet, 12 crocketed pinnacles. To west, 2 corner buttresses, 3 setoffs, and intermediate buttress, single setoff. To east, 2 buttresses engaged with aisles, 3 setoffs. First stage has to south 4 centred arched door and above, a trefoil headed lancet. To west, a cusped head double lancet with Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and chamfered and rebated reveal. Above, 2 stair lights and trefoil headed lancet. North side has a single similar lancet. Second stage has on each side a C14 cusped head double lancet. Third stage has a clock face to west and to north. Fourth staqe has a C15 transomed triple lancet bell opening with panel tracery on each side. Nave clerestory has 3 C19 cusped head triple lancets in square coved and rebated reveals, on each side. North aisle and vestry, 6 bays, has chamfered plinth and 2 corner and 5 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs with moulded plinths. Rainwater heads dated 1871. West end has quatrefoil headed double lancet. North side has to east 2 C13 double lancets with quatrefoil heads. To west, 2 C14 cusped head double lancets. To west again, restored C12 round headed doorway with chamfered imposts and hood mould. East end has to left, double lancet with quatrefoil head and to right, C19 door with hood mould. South aisle incorporating south porch, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth, corner buttress to east and to west, buttress, 2 setoffs. Rainwater heads dated 1871. East end has string course and C14 style triple lancet with chamfered and rebated reveal. To its right, half-round headed opening over chancel south window. South side has to west, a double Decorated lancet with cusped heads and chamfered and rebated opening. To east, 2 C14 style triple lancets with cusped heads. West end has a quatrefoil headed double lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped gable with cross. East end hasa pair of corner buttresses and a single buttress, 2 setoffs. East end has re-set quintuple lancet in C15 style with oqee reticulated tracery, filleted mullions and hood mould. South side has to west restored early C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and filleted mullions, To east, C14 style triple lancet with cusped heads and reticulated tracery, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould. South porch has 2 small buttresses, moulded pointed arched doorway with hood mould, coped gable with gabled kneelers and cross. Principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces and collars. South doorway, C12, restored, has head with roll, keel and cove mouldings, hood mould, coved square imposts. 2 pairs of colonettes, the larger outer pair with restored round bases and simple stiff leaf capitals. Tower arch, C13, triple chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds with octagonal caps. Tower chamber has blocked shouldered doorway to west, and window with stained glass, 1902, a replica of that of 1873 by Clayton and Bell. 3 important monuments. Nave north arcade is a replica of that of c.1200 with round piers and pseudo-pier to east with moulded square bases. 2 round responds, that to west C14. Plain and crocketed capitals. 2 round and single C14 arches, chamfered and rebated, with hood moulds and mask stops. South arcade, C14 style, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers and pseudo-pier, half- octagon responds, moulded octagonal bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated arches. Principal rafter roof with struts and curved braces from corbels to tie beams. Arch braces to principals, cusped wind braces and foliate bosses. North aisle has lean-to roof with curved brackets from corbels. North west window has stained glass 1901-02 by Newberry. South aisle similar to north aisle. East end forms south chancel chapel. East window and central south window have C20 stained glass. Chancel has to north C13 arch to north aisle, containing 8 panelled traceried screen. To its right, round headed doorway with hood mould and to right again, 4 centred arched doorway. East end has moulded sill band, traceried panelled reredos and stained glass 1925 by Kempe & Co. South side has priest's door and 2 stained glass windows, one a replica by Drake, c.1901. Panelled vaulted timber roof with moulded arch braces on corbels and foliate bosses. Vestry has to south a chamfered and rebated lancet with hood mould, c.1300. South chancel Foljambe chapel, single bay, has 8 panel traceried timber screen in C13 style. East end has stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, reproducing that of 1875. South side has restored C14 cusped head piscina. Fittings include C20 traceried panelled chancel screen, 5 bays, with crenellated transom. Plain tub font with chamfered rim on C20 chamfered round base and stem. Traceried panelled pulpit on stone base. Brass eagle lectern. Moulded panelled oak benches. Traceried panelled choir stalls and clergy desks. Monuments include mutilated effigy with Lombardic inscription to Olivia de Montbegon, c.1236. Baroque style wall monument to Dame Frances Earle, c.1687. Moulded rectangular ashlar base with brass inscription, life-size standing female figure draped in Roman style, flanked by Corinthian columns carrying entablature and segmental pediment. Large slate wall monument, damaged by fire, with foliate brackets and cherub, and remains of scrolled pediment, containing 2 scrolls in low relief. To Arabella Hewett, d.1787. Signed 'John Platt Rotherham Ft.1790'. Roll of Honour and 2 crosses, 1914-18. Brasses c.1875, 1897, 2 C20. War memorial brass 1914-19.
Listing NGR: SK7879983871
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27082
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing