CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1275908
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275908.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:12:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Ashfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 49024 55834

Details

SK 45 NE KIRKBY IN ASHFIELD CHURCH STREET (east side) 3/35 Church of St. Wilfrid 28/11/50 G.V. II Parish church. C13, C15 and rebuilt 1908 by L. Ambler. Romanesque and C13 styles. Snecked rubble and dressed stone. Slate roofs with coped gables. Chamfered plinth, coved and moulded eaves. Single round stone stack. Elaborate lead rainwater heads dated 1908. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, vestry, chancel, north porch. West tower, 3 stages, has deep moulded plinth, 2 string courses and dentillated eaves band. Broach spire, 1863, with single tier of lucarnes and weathercock. To west, 2 clasping buttresses. First stage has to west, double lancet with shaft and hood mould. Second stage has stair light and to north, small lancet and clock. Third stage has 4 double lancet openings with shafts and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses and 3 triple geometrical lancets with hood moulds and foliate stops. West end has ogee double lancet with hood mould. South aisle, 5 bays, has 5 buttresses, moulded plinth and sill band. 4 ogee double lancets with geometrical tracery and hood moulds. East and west ends have each a triple ogee lancet with intersecting tracery. East end has 2 flanking and single central buttresses. Buttressed vestry, 4 bays, has 4 double lancets with geometrical tracery and hood moulds. West end has door with hood mould. East end has geometrical double lancet and to its right, steps to moulded doorway. Chancel, 4 bays, has moulded plinth. East end has 2 flanking and single central buttresses. Decorated 5 light lancet with hood mould. south side has central door with hood mould and continuous sill band. Flanked by 2 geometrical double lancets with hood moulds. Gabled north porch has 2 flanking buttresses to north and moulded doorway with shafts and hood mould. Above, bracketed canopied niche with figure. Each side has a Geometrical double lancet with hood mould. Keeled and roll moulded tower arch has filleted responds with leaf capitals. Tower west window has stained glass, 1911. North arcade, 5 bays, has smaller east bay. Round piers and responds, with plain bases and scallop capitals. Moulded round arches. Similar south arcade has octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and foliate capitals. Moulded and chamfered arches. Double purlin principal rafter roof with arch braces on foliate corbels. North and south aisles have arch braced principal rafter roofs on corbels. North aisle has moulded arch at east end with screen and organ pipes. South aisle east end has panelled dado and reredos, stained glass window and brass, c.1910. South side has war memorial window and brass c.1920 and 2 stained glass windows, mid C20. Chancel has C14 style traceried and crested oak screen with ogee openings. North side has moulded opening containing organ in traceried case. East end has panelled dado and elaborate reredos with canopied niches. Stained glass east window, 1908. South side has westernmost stained glass window signed 'Andrew Stoddart, Nottingham, 1939'. Fittings include traceried and crested stalls, desks and altar rail with fleur de lys ends. Oak prayer desk, traceried pulpit and eagle lectern, oak, 1908. Brass eagle lectern, 1933. Traceried panelled oak benches with shaped ends, 1908. Panelled octagonal ashlar font with clustered shaft stem, 1908. C17 oak chest with carving. Memorials include re-set slab, 1699, brass shields 1731 and 1736 and C20 brass. Marble and slate wall tablet, 1908, and alabaster tablet, 1899. Brass war memorial panel, c.1920.

Listing NGR: SK4902455834

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410929
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/201086
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26903
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26902

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13397/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].