CHAPEL OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1276105

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 10:08:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Sunderland

National Grid Reference: NU 21808 35990

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH SUNDERLAND INNER FARNE NU 23 NW Farne Islands 5/172 Chapel of St. Cuthbert 22.12.69 GV II* Chapel. C12 or C13 masonry-in lower part of north wall. Rebuilt C14, extensively restored 1840-50. Older masonry squared stone; elsewhere random whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Single-cell building of 4 bays. Renewed ogee doorway in left bay and two C19 Decorated windows in centre bays. Left bay has blocked original 2-light Decorated window. 3-light C19 east window. North wall blank. Gabled roof with small west bellcote. Interior: Richly decorated with C17 woodwork made for Bishop Cosin at Durham Cathedral and brought here by Archdeacon Thorp in the 1840's. Includes: tabernacled stalls with combined Gothic tracery and renaissance heads, festoons etc; pews with similarly-carved back panels and bench ends; screen with C17- style balusters, Gothic tracery and cresting of repeated mitres. 2 older chairs with misericords,one a green man, the other a cherub. Monument to Grace Darling, erected by Archdeacon Thorp, with commemorative verse by Wordsworth.

Listing NGR: NU2180835990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 410369

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing