CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1276172
Date first listed:
12-Apr-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276172.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:34:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Lacy
National Grid Reference:
SO 62075 49455

Details

STOKE LACEY

815/17/568 STOKE LACEY 12-APR-73 CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

II

Parish church of 1863 by F.R. Kempson, incorporating some fittings from a previous church.

MATERIALS: Rock-faced red-grey sandstone with buff dressings and quoins; different grey sandstone for the chancel. Slate roofs

PLAN: Nave, lower and narrower chancel, south porch, west tower and spire, north vestry.

EXTERIOR: An Early-English style parish church of which the heavy 3-stage tower is prominent. It has clasping buttresses and semi-circular north-east turret that turns polygonal in the second stage. The west window is a single cusped light. Paired bell-stage windows have a central column and are superimposed by an arch with solid tympanum. An arcaded frieze at eaves level is below the splay-foot shingled spire. The nave has 2-light windows and corbel table to cast-iron rainwater goods. A stack on the east verge has a round shaft. The porch has a simple pointed entrance and the south nave doorway is similar. The chancel has a single-light south window and east window of 3 stepped lancets.

INTERIOR: The broad tower arch has a continuous chamfer. The chancel arch, a reconstruction of the arch in the old church, is Norman in style with semi-circular responds, scalloped capitals and stepped arch. The nave has a trussed rafter roof, the chancel a plastered barrel ceiling on corbelled shafts, and an elaborate cinquefoil piscina. Walls are plastered. Floors are C19 tiles, with wood floors beneath pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: A chancel screen is made up from parts of a C16 screen, and includes delicate openwork tracery and foliage cornice. The octagonal tapering tub font is medieval. Other fittings are 1863 or later. The round stone pulpit has rich diaper work. Benches are simple but the choir stalls have Gothic panels to ends and fronts. There are several stained glass windows, of different dates. They include the east window, showing the life of Christ, post 1886, and in the nave Christ preaching, post 1887, and the marriage at Cana by Kempe & Co, post 1929. There are several wall monuments of the late C18 and C19, including a sarcophagus to John Lilly (d 1825) in the nave and, in the chancel, an oval tablet with an awkward-looking mourning putto leaning on an urn, to Thomas Griffith (d 1800). In the tower base is a benefaction board of 1837.

HISTORY: Parish church built in 1863 by F.R. Kempson (1837/8-1923), whose father had been rector of the church. Kempson started his career in London but moved his practice to Hereford in 1861 and received many commissions in the county. Kempson reconstructed the chancel arch of the previous church, from which some of the fittings (screen, font, wall monuments) were reinstated in the new church.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, p 293.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Peter and St Paul, Stoke Lacy, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a C19 Gothic-revival church retaining original character and detail. * It retains its medieval font and parts of a medieval screen, and C19 detail including some good stained-glass windows.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410231
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 173

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06080/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian M. Slater. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].