THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1276459
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, LIPHOOK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276459.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:47:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, LIPHOOK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Linchmere
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 86978 30904

Details

In the entry for; SU 83 SE LINCHMERE LIPHOOK ROAD 2/4 The Parish Church of St Peter 18.6.59 II* The description shall be amended to read:- Parish church. C11 3 bay nave (probably Pre-Conquest) 2 bay chancel and base of tower are C12, the chancel enlarged and remodelled in C13 by the Canons of Shulbrede Priory. Belfry and 2 pillars inside nave added in 1684. Extensively restored in 1856 by Henry Woodyer who added the north aisle with stone arcading, rebuilt the south porch and replaced the pinnacled capping to C18 tower with a shingled spire. The outer north aisle and north porch were added by P M Johnston in 1906 and a north west extension and vestry were added by Robert Pite in 1957. Built of coursed and random Hythe sandstone rubble with tiled roofs. Lancet windows. Chancel nave with double north aisle,north and south porches. West tower and west vestry:nave has roof by Woodyer, a combination of curved brace and king post type but the tie beam dated 1654 remains. Chancel has C13 trefoil-headed piscina. Heavy oak screen, pulpits and pews by Woodyer. 5 bay stone arcade to north aisle and 2 paired wooden octagonal columns to the extension of the north aisle are of 1906.

------------------------------------

SU 83 SE LINCHMERE LIPHOOK ROAD 2/4 The Parish Church of St Peter 18.6.59 - II* Parish Church. The church is medieval, very much restored, in fact largely rebuit, by W Woodyer in 1856 and P M Johnston in 1906. The nave is C12, the chancel C13, the tower 1654, the inner north aisle 1856, the outer north aisle and south porch 1906, the west end of the aisle extended and the west vestry added in 1957. The interior of the church is largely Victorian in appearance but it is evident that the south wall and much of the west end is C13. Open timber roof with kingpost. Coursed and random rubble with tiled roofs. Chancel, nave with double north aisle, north and south porches, tower at west end of nave and west vestry.

Listing NGR: SU8697830904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
301916
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13944/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].